Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

several materials on a mesh

Anonymous
Not applicable
It would be really nice to be able to "paste" several different materials using 2d fill objects to create roads, grass, rocks, water, etc. in different areas of a single mesh. There is a similar method in Sketchup that does this (although I know the complexities are very different).

Unless this exists already?
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable
As I recall Architerra allows you to "paint" the polygons of the mesh.

Another trick is to make a material with a texture for the surface using an image editing program. If you want it to (fairly) precisely match the surface you can take a snapshot of the mesh in ArchiCAD and then edit this in Photoshop (or whatever). This only works well for meshes that are not too highly contoured. Steeply sloping sites and convoluted shapes can result in unacceptable distortion.

This can also be handy for simple site remodeling as you can use layers in Photoshop for new roads and such and easily "Save as" before and after (and in progress) images.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the ideas!
As I recall Architerra allows you to "paint" the polygons of the mesh.
I just don't think we should have to pay for a third party tool just to create material changes.
Another trick is to make a material with a texture for the surface using an image editing program. If you want it to (fairly) precisely match the surface you can take a snapshot of the mesh in ArchiCAD and then edit this in Photoshop (or whatever). This only works well for meshes that are not too highly contoured. Steeply sloping sites and convoluted shapes can result in unacceptable distortion.
This is a problem too, since doing all that photoshop work (and the subsequent reloading to be able to use these images) can take a very long time to setup properly.

I think that being able to "link" 2d fill tool polygons to the site mesh would be a clean way to be able to make quick changes to materials without having to spend all that time trying to build several different meshes and make them line up properly.