BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

3D PDF

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi all,
I hope that I can publish Archicad 3D to PDF 3D, with rotating, paning functions....can we have that in the future??
7 REPLIES 7
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
If you're on PC, you have it now. This is what the reference guide says about it:

3D Content in PDF (WIN only)
When creating a PDF, ArchiCAD allows you to take advantage of the U3D file format (in Windows only).
When publishing a PDF document from ArchiCAD, you can embed a U3D file into the PDF, then “navigate” the view within the PDF as if it were a 3D model.
1) From the 3D window, save the desired model view as a file using the “Save as” command. Choose the “U3D file” format from the list of available formats. It is recommended to clear unnecessary detail from the 3D model as much as possible, in order to optimize the navigation speed in the resulting PDF document.

2) In the Navigator or Organizer Palette, save the desired model as a 3D view. If you prefer, add the 3D view to a Layout.

3) Next, add the 3D view (either on its own or as part of a Layout) to a Publisher set. Select the 3D view (or Layout) in the Publisher Set.

4) Set the Publisher Set Properties to PDF format. (This is the default publishing format.)

5) In the Format tab page at the bottom of the Publisher palette, choose Document Options, then PDF Options.

6) Check the “Embed 3D content” checkbox.

7) Click the “Browse” button to select the file you saved in U3D format (in Step 1 above).

8 ) If you are publishing a Layout, select the 3D view on the layout into which you want to embed the U3D file. (If you are publishing a view, the U3D will be embedded into that view.)

9) Click OK.

10) In the Publisher, select the desired publisher item and publish it in PDF format.

The resulting PDF file will contain an embedded, navigable U3D file.
The U3D model embedded in the PDF can be navigated only by using Adobe Reader 7.0.

It's quite the process, and in reality, it's only useful for very small models, 3D details, etc.

Cheers,
Link.
Starchi wrote:
Hi all,
I hope that I can publish Archicad 3D to PDF 3D, with rotating, paning functions....can we have that in the future??
Before any enhancements or development is done to 3D PDFs out of ArchiCAD, I would hope they enable Mac to create them first!
Rex Maximilian, Honolulu, USA - www.rexmaximilian.com
ArchiCAD 27 (user since 3.4, 1991)
16" MacBook Pro; M1 Max (2021), 32GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, 32-Core GPU
Apple Vision Pro w/ BIMx
Creator of the Maximilian ArchiCAD Template System
Thomas Holm
Booster
Actually, I have been able to export to U3D on the Mac. I don't remember how now, it was about 18 months ago, and I found exporting to Sketchup through 3DS format and then giving the client a copy of the free Sketchup Viewer program was much better, but the U3D/PDF was viewable in Adobe Reader, also on the Mac.
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Rick Thompson
Expert
I voted an important, as I am on a Mac. I could actually get a lot of use out of this (hummmm ???). GS, come on... Macs are doing fine, and we deserve the same level of development as PC's. Look how long it to the Mac platform to match what windows could do with many user-face functions.
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
http://www.thompsonplans.com
Mac M2 studio w/ display
Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm afraid that GS lost this function with AC11 and exchange the PDF engine. In AC 10 this function with Amyumi engine working properly. Now we can save 3D view as *.u3d file, but we can't link this file to PDF file publishing with Publisher.
Link - maybe this part of manual is for future AC edition?
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Pawel wrote:
I'm afraid that GS lost this function with AC11 and exchange the PDF engine. In AC 10 this function with Amyumi engine working properly. Now we can save 3D view as *.u3d file, but we can't link this file to PDF file publishing with Publisher.
Link - maybe this part of manual is for future AC edition?
Works for me on the INT version, build 1112.

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello,

Is there any way to migrate a 3D pdf to ArchiCad as an object?

Thank you!
Learn and get certified!