Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

3d modeling tools!!!

Anonymous
Not applicable
i am very surprised that AC has got to v8.1 and still no sign of tool that would allow for fast, easy and precise modeling of complex 3d objects (dont tell me GDL scripting is way to do it!).
id like to have working planes, 3D lines, tapering, twisting, piping, cutting etc tools in AC, even a simple palette like gdltoolbox would be a good start!
if graphisoft doesnt start to move in this direction i think AC is most likely to lose its edge over autocad and allplan.
19 REPLIES 19
Anonymous
Not applicable
Try ArchiForma.

I was going to add a url for the demo but the Cigraph website went flaky on me and immediately dumped me into the Italian version - try:
http://www.cigraph.com
I assume they'll have the glitch sorted out soon.
James B
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
kllk wrote:
i am very surprised that AC has got to v8.1 and still no sign of tool that would allow for fast, easy and precise modeling of complex 3d objects (dont tell me GDL scripting is way to do it!).
id like to have working planes, 3D lines, tapering, twisting, piping, cutting etc tools in AC, even a simple palette like gdltoolbox would be a good start!
if graphisoft doesnt start to move in this direction i think AC is most likely to lose its edge over autocad and allplan.
I tend to agree. But I don't think all we need is a bunch of new buttons and tools. I feel that the existing tools could easily accommodate many of this and maybe a set of transformers - this could be an extension of the Solid Operations feature, so instead of just having one object influencing another, but a set of transforms can act on an object (like twist, taper, bend, bulge, shear etc).

Also, have the existing features like split, + and - to be able to work in any window including section/elevation and not just in plan.
James Badcock
Graphisoft Senior Product Manager
Anonymous
Not applicable
ive tryed archiforma but wasnt impressed.
its not JUST TOOLS that i need but also the possibility to work in FAST and PRECISE manner in 3D. i think this is inconceivable without proper 3D snapping and working planes (archiforma has neither).

i agree this problem could be solved trough improvement of ACs existing tools and techniques. in fact it seems to me that sole introduction of working planes would (almost) be enough.

i really mis 3D lines because im offen in need to export my models and do statics.

it also would be nice to be able to work in multiple viewports (real time updated), you know, to be able to start a line (or other entity) in floor plan and finish it in 3D window or section window.
Djordje
Ace
James wrote:
Also, have the existing features like split, + and - to be able to work in any window including section/elevation and not just in plan.
They also work in 3D window ...
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Djordje
Ace
kllk wrote:
its not JUST TOOLS that i need but also the possibility to work in FAST and PRECISE manner in 3D. i think this is inconceivable without proper 3D snapping and working planes (archiforma has neither).
Allow me to disagree; 3D snapping is present, in plain ArchiCAD as well as ArchiForma. Working planes can be helpful, I agree. As I did my last AutoCAD model 10 years or so ago, I weaned myself off the workplanes, and am obviously less influenced by the surface modeling methods.

GDL is not scary, or hard, but the math can be ... 😉 No, it is not a tool for pure modeling these days.

It is all in the eye of the beholder. How fast you work depends on how used to the method(s) you are. If you are trying to do the modeling in the same way as in AutoCAD, you will never get there.

BTW, it is also my moderator's duty to remind you of the etiquette which does not allow anonymous usage of the Forum. We like to know each other, so please at least update your profile with the real information. Whatever you say will not be used against you!

Of course I am voting essential!
Djordje

HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
Allow me to disagree; 3D snapping is present, in plain ArchiCAD as well as ArchiForma.
in archicad yes, but in archiforma no (for example you cant snap along line or have perpendicular/parallel constraints). id like to have ACs 2D drawing capabilities in 3D! if you ever had to make even the simplest spaceframe you know what i mean.
GDL is not scary, or hard
well, its not hard but is clumsy. making something with GDL script takes hours while in autocad is a matter of minutes! not to mention that equations are not a natural environment far an architect.

BTW, it is also my moderator's duty to remind you of the etiquette which does not allow anonymous usage of the Forum. We like to know each other, so please at least update your profile with the real information
sorry, i tryed to update my profile but i didnt know how to change my username...................................
nevermind, my name is nenad jankovic, nice to meet you all!!!
Djordje
Ace
kllk wrote:
Allow me to disagree; 3D snapping is present, in plain ArchiCAD as well as ArchiForma.
in archicad yes, but in archiforma no (for example you cant snap along line or have perpendicular/parallel constraints). id like to have ACs 2D drawing capabilities in 3D! if you ever had to make even the simplest spaceframe you know what i mean.
I do, trust me
kllk wrote:
GDL is not scary, or hard
well, its not hard but is clumsy. making something with GDL script takes hours while in autocad is a matter of minutes! not to mention that equations are not a natural environment far an architect.
Agreed; what happens when the span changes? Ha! Speaking of spaceframe - take a look at some of the examples in the CookBook. No, not easy to script, and much easier to just draw, oops, model.
kllk wrote:
BTW, it is also my moderator's duty to remind you of the etiquette which does not allow anonymous usage of the Forum. We like to know each other, so please at least update your profile with the real information
sorry, i tryed to update my profile but i didnt know how to change my username...................................
nevermind, my name is nenad jankovic, nice to meet you all!!!
User name is OK, if we know who you are

Dobro dosao, Nenade!
Djordje

HP Omen
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
kllk wrote:
id like to have working planes, 3D lines, tapering, twisting, piping, cutting etc tools in AC
Take a look at FrameWright for 3D tools including 3D rotation, 3D cutting, working planes, and profiling (+no GDL scripting required). Refer to:
http://www.encina.co.uk/framewright.html
Ralph Wessel BArch
Anonymous
Not applicable
someone voted average?