BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Add surface

This is a 2D command from Vectorworks that should be translated into 3D ArchiCAD.

The idea is that you select several objects of the same type (in Vectorworks it is only polygons, but in ArchiCAD it could be polygons, slabs, zones, perhaps roofs) and go to Edit>Add and all the stuff becomes a single thing with the properties of the first one selected for the operation.

Actually the same could apply to all booleans. But you don't keep the operator.

The same effect can be obtained in ArchiCAD by adding surface and magicwanding, but it is much clumsier than the Vectorworks version especially when there are several objects to add.
4 REPLIES 4
Rob
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
I fully agree but in addition I would really appreciate a sort of SEO functionality in 2D - addition, substraction etc. of same type of elements on plan. I suppose it is a hard one as AC runs its 2D and 3D engine separately. However, this particular feature would give AC a "true feel" of modelling package. I vote essential.
::rk
Djordje
Ace
Rob wrote:
I fully agree but in addition I would really appreciate a sort of SEO functionality in 2D - addition, substraction etc. of same type of elements on plan. I suppose it is a hard one as AC runs its 2D and 3D engine separately. However, this particular feature would give AC a "true feel" of modelling package. I vote essential.
You have it since 6.o

Draw a fill. Draw another overlapping it partially. With the fill tool active, select the first, magic wand the second. First is bigger for the non-overlapping part of the second. Yes, you have to delete the seocnd - the only minus point.

Dedicated palette buttons for this in 9.

Works with any combination of polygonal elements.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Rob
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Djordje, what I meant was functionality like a substracting of 2 library parts - they are of the same type aren't they?
::rk
Djordje
Ace
Rob wrote:
Djordje, what I meant was functionality like a substracting of 2 library parts - they are of the same type aren't they?
Ah, the proper 2D display of the result of SEO? Yes, sorely needed. That is something else, you mentioned Booleans in 2D.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Learn and get certified!