Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Archicad Future, 27 Poll

bouhmidage
Advisor

Archicad 26 was released yesterday, personnally i'm disappointed of how Archicad is slowly developped in the last 4 years, the pandemic has it' effects on business for sure, but we expected more since earlier versions used to bring nice and cool features, 

I created this tread for users who have ideas, suggestions, propositions for the next release, we may express our thoughts, and give guidelines for development team, Graphisoft is listening, i'm sure, 

For me, the most important thing to in an urgent way is to stop this multilingual installers strategy, 

Archicad 26 is released, all the world can download it with a multilangual installer,  : 

1 - download and install in a preferred langue, 

2 - open Archicad using your template, or download a template from the website, almost of us migrate tempaltes from older versions, resellers template  are useful for new users, 

3 - libraries also can be dowloaded from website, this will help in 2 things : lignter installers, and libraries are accessible for everyone especially when user works for foreign companies, .

this way, development and bug fixes will be focused on 1 installer, not 10, 

----------------------------

Archicad strategy is to implement several disciplines, let's admit this, 

For users , Architects, engeneers, drafters, commands and disciplines should be seperated and organized in different way, so we don't feel abused with unecessary command, 

yes Archicad offer possibility to organise commands in the work environnment, but the saved commands layout will be a mess when upgrading to newt version wich contain new commands, 

why not,  from a buttons menu you can activate ad desactivate disciplines commands.

You said in the webinar, Focus on design, Archicad tools are really good and that's why we stick to Archicad , BUT aren't fully baked, workarounds and illogic solutions are always there to disturb the workflow, think about new users, workarounds make them feel uncomftable, saying, " this simple situation needs a workaround, whatabout complex ones ?? " 

each tool have major / minor things to update, tweak , to get a good design toolbox for daily work, 

to attract users, Archicad should easily be able to help designing a residentiel or midscale projects without workarounds, this kind of project is where users start exploring the software, if it fails, users will start searching around for alternatives, 

make the product a complete solution for architects, 

i think , Archicad 27 should be the " NO workarounds version "   ,make architects life easier, to focus on design , then you can go ahead for structural and MEP workflows, 

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 10 GB
Archicad 25
Windows 10 professional
https://www.behance.net/Nuance-Architects
227 REPLIES 227

The wishlist item for evolving views along certain lines needs to be clearly documented in the spreadsheet.

I can't do this because I don't use Archicad the way others do, and it's not an issue for me right now. That probably means I'm not working as efficiently as I ought, or am unfamiliar with some of the workflow methods.

I use the storey views, configure layers with Layer combinations, Renovation filters, MVOs, GOs etc, and save them. I tend to start from scratch and don't use folders.

The idea of more live views seems good, but I'm not sure what I'm missing. Someone else is going to have to document this.

Archicad 27 UKI | OS X 12.7.1 Monterey

Not much to document really for the Wishlist, just add a line "Details & Worksheets to be updated to provide Live views (like Sections) of the model and allow all view settings to be adjusted by user." The other ideas I have mentioned can be aired if we ever get to that level of influence.

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)

Done!

mthd
Mentor

Hi, I am definitely not backing down from wanting Archicad to draw walls in rectangular mode and ignore existing walls like Vectorworks does.

This definitely presents no problem because all you have to do is let the program know not to build walls where they already exist. This is a very simple thing and by default it should not build walls where they already exist. If you want it to build walls where they already exist, the program can give us a pop up message and ask “do you want to build more walls where they exist” ?

To me, it is unprofessional for Archicad to work that way and that fault should have been fixed ages ago. 

AC8.1 - AC27 ARM AUS + CI Tools
Apple Mac Studio M1 Max Chip 10C CPU
24C GPU 7.8TF 32GB RAM OS Ventura

@mthd ,

To you it is a problem, probably because you are used to using different software that has such an option.

To me it is not a problem, as I have never used anything but Archicad for the last 20 odd years.

Plus, I would never model adjoining rooms with the rectangular wall method.

I don't want separate walls for each room.

But I guess that may come down to what you are modelling also, as well as the way in which you model it.

I am not saying your wish is not valid.

For you it is, for me it isn't.

That is why readers should click the 'Like' button to affirm a post.

As with many things, it would be nice if Archicad could offer an option, so the default method of working can be set the way each user wants.

But then you have the problem with so many options is it is difficult to keep track of them all and may make working in Archicad even harder.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

@Barry Kelly @mthd 

Following the Archicad way (you build in Archicad as you would on site(mostly)) using the rectangle method goes against the way Archicad works as you would never build one wall over another. 

Archicad 4.1 to 27 Apple Silicon
you can't build a line
Mac Studio
iPad Pro
iPhone

No, my older CAD software couldn’t draw walls in rectangular mode. Revit works like that program in drawing and placing walls with a witness line and a click on dimension.

I like how we can draw external walls with the rectangular mode but I would also like to be able to do that with internal walls like Vectorworks can to help with our workflow.

AC8.1 - AC27 ARM AUS + CI Tools
Apple Mac Studio M1 Max Chip 10C CPU
24C GPU 7.8TF 32GB RAM OS Ventura

You are asking for something that you personally want, that isn't important to 2 of the other respondents, or 3 if you include me.

Just because something doesn't work the way you want, doesn't mean it's 'unprofessional' - it isn't.

I'm not going to add that to the wishlist I'm afraid.

Well a wish is a wish whether one person or 100 people want it.

If you are deciding which wishes end up on your list, aren't you being just like Graphisoft in deciding what should and shouldn't be included?

Of course somebody (Graphisoft) ultimately has to make that decision.

That is why all wishes should be put forward and if they attract enough attention, they should be looked at.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

I don't disagree with your point, but there are other things to consider I think.

First of all, it's a minor usability tweak that will involve quite a bit of development to implement and subsequent testing and updating of documentation. Having been actively involved in quite a bit of software development over the last decade, I do have a little insight into the process. Messing with core features can have some major unforeseen ramifications, and shouldn't be considered unless the overall outcome can be seen to justify it.

How many people are actually going to benefit from this?

Does it add major new functionality? No.

Does it improve functionality - yes, but in a major way, no. 

Does it improve productivity - for a few that are familiar with the VW tool, and that use it (I didn't in over a decade with VW), yes.

I think we need some kind of threshold for evaluating wishlist items. We can't have every random requirement from everyone if it will involve quite a bit of work for GS.

My way of looking at things (and everyone is free to disagree vehemently) is that stuff which is really quick and easy to implement can and should be be added.

Anything which requires a reasonable amount of development time and effort should be evaluated before being added. I don't think the wishlist should be a sum total of people's personal crusades unless they are either trivial to implement or add clear benefits or features for many users.

We've had discussions about several features, and how they should be described and potentially implemented. Others have actively been involved in this process (I know David has made quite a bit of effort) and that's really helpful.

Someone (most likely me) is going to have to create a poll for voting on the list, so we can quantify and prioritise what to request.

I don't want to sound autocratic, because that's not what the list is supposed to be, but I personally see very little wider benefit for this feature for what could involve quite a bit of development time and effort.