Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Archicad Future, 27 Poll

bouhmidage
Advisor

Archicad 26 was released yesterday, personnally i'm disappointed of how Archicad is slowly developped in the last 4 years, the pandemic has it' effects on business for sure, but we expected more since earlier versions used to bring nice and cool features, 

I created this tread for users who have ideas, suggestions, propositions for the next release, we may express our thoughts, and give guidelines for development team, Graphisoft is listening, i'm sure, 

For me, the most important thing to in an urgent way is to stop this multilingual installers strategy, 

Archicad 26 is released, all the world can download it with a multilangual installer,  : 

1 - download and install in a preferred langue, 

2 - open Archicad using your template, or download a template from the website, almost of us migrate tempaltes from older versions, resellers template  are useful for new users, 

3 - libraries also can be dowloaded from website, this will help in 2 things : lignter installers, and libraries are accessible for everyone especially when user works for foreign companies, .

this way, development and bug fixes will be focused on 1 installer, not 10, 

----------------------------

Archicad strategy is to implement several disciplines, let's admit this, 

For users , Architects, engeneers, drafters, commands and disciplines should be seperated and organized in different way, so we don't feel abused with unecessary command, 

yes Archicad offer possibility to organise commands in the work environnment, but the saved commands layout will be a mess when upgrading to newt version wich contain new commands, 

why not,  from a buttons menu you can activate ad desactivate disciplines commands.

You said in the webinar, Focus on design, Archicad tools are really good and that's why we stick to Archicad , BUT aren't fully baked, workarounds and illogic solutions are always there to disturb the workflow, think about new users, workarounds make them feel uncomftable, saying, " this simple situation needs a workaround, whatabout complex ones ?? " 

each tool have major / minor things to update, tweak , to get a good design toolbox for daily work, 

to attract users, Archicad should easily be able to help designing a residentiel or midscale projects without workarounds, this kind of project is where users start exploring the software, if it fails, users will start searching around for alternatives, 

make the product a complete solution for architects, 

i think , Archicad 27 should be the " NO workarounds version "   ,make architects life easier, to focus on design , then you can go ahead for structural and MEP workflows, 

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 10 GB
Archicad 25
Windows 10 professional
https://www.behance.net/Nuance-Architects
227 REPLIES 227

No, I would like it for many other users as well as me to speed up our workflow on basic designs for fast rectangular room internal wall creation that doesn’t overlap adjoining rooms. 

It’s your personal wish list so that’s cool if you don’t want to include it.

Like others have said, they read these posts and it’s up to others as well on what they will include and not include.

So I will just take what I can get in the future version that I can afford.

No worries all good fun.

AC8.1 - AC27 ARM AUS + CI Tools
Apple Mac Studio M1 Max Chip 10C CPU
24C GPU 7.8TF 32GB RAM OS Ventura
mthd
Mentor

Hey Jim, we all have our individual perspectives of what we will need and use. I think your list is good for high end users like yourself and for many others.

For example: I don’t use PARAM-O but I think it’s great that we have it right inside Archicad and also EcoStar full now in version 26. Along with all the other great design tools in Archicad.

You have to remember that Architects have different time constraints allocated to design and design development than Builders and Building designers or Architectural Technologists like me have.

With the money I get paid, I have a very limited time to come up with a design concept and to edit it, to get it right for working drawings. Lots of my time is spent on designing the timber framing to the code for construction as well as the design.

I should have got a degree in Architecture so that those with extra money can pay me to fiddle around with many design concepts and to develop them. That’s why many will chose an Architect before they will chose someone like me.

I hope you understand that many of us use Archicad and we are not all Architects.

So design concepts and design development time is critical for me and many others in my boat.

This is getting a bit repetitive. @mthd @It’s not the way ether Archicad or the real world works. You can ask 100 times and you’ll get nowhere because it’s not Archicad. 

Archicad 4.1 to 27 Apple Silicon
you can't build a line
Mac Studio
iPad Pro
iPhone

I understand all these things, but my point is that what you are asking to implement is going to take probably more time to develop and implement than it will save anyone.

Archicad is the oldest BIM application in the world, and its toolset is generally pretty efficient.

I know you are somewhat fixated about this (and I don't mean that in a perjorative sense) because you are attached to a particular workflow but have you actually thought how much time it will genuinely save you? I suspect it's very little indeed.

I added my own request for a 90 degree rotation shortcut, which I use for everything, but that's simply a shortcut to an existing command, and adds productivity benefits for almost every tool I use whether it's walls, beams, objects, curtain walls, fills, lines, notes, elevation markers etc.

That ought to be a day's work at most for devs, and doesn't affect any data, sheets, scheduling, display settings, layers, stories. It's just a preconfigured rotation shortcut. Even documentation would be quick.

So I'm questioning your objectivity I guess 😉

Archicad 27 UKI | OS X 12.7.1 Monterey
mthd
Mentor

When I was learning Archicad 20 years ago at version 7 the Architect taking the course and all the students balked at this placing of a wall on wall.

That’s a personal opinion of how long it would take to implement what I am suggesting above. I didn’t learn code but it shouldn’t be too hard to implement ?

As for time saving, no analysis has been done just yet ?

Archicad will keep stagnating when people with a cannot do attitude present an obstacle to the logical progress of the software and it will prevent it from developing logically. As has been the case quite recently with many other Archicad users on this forum who have expressed their own opinions of what they want implemented in future versions.

It’s not limited to this one point above but there are many things that can be learned from the efficiency of other CAD packages out there.

That’s what I am trying to say and it takes humility to acknowledge that other CAD packages do some things better than others. So why not learn from them ? I am sure they all learn from Archicad and visa versa.

I think Graphisoft or Nemetchek wouldn’t take our personal opinions too seriously anyway ?

It’s fine to state your personal wishes but not to stifle others and their wishes just because you maybe a consultant or not ?

I like to talk straight and if I don’t get what I want too bad hey ? I will just make do with deleting the extra walls placed when I magic wand around a rectangle representing a room for space planning, that happens to overlap other walls. 

You are proposing to mess with one of Archicad's core tools with consequences for snapping, auto-join and detecting conflicts of placing objects on top of one another.

No it won't be quick or easy, and for what? So it saves you 60 seconds every couple of weeks?

"Archicad will keep stagnating when people with a cannot do attitude present an obstacle to the logical progress of the software and it will prevent it from developing logically"

I think that's disingenuous at best and BS at worst I'm afraid.

It's not 'logical progress'  because people haven't been clamouring for this for 30 years, yet most users have managed to be properly productive for most things.

People with unreasonable requests often cite a 'cannot do attitude' - which is usually just a cheap shot, which is what yours was...

mthd
Mentor

How many hours are spent on revisions and re-setting or adjusting the floor plan layout ?

A person spending lots of time working on library objects may not understand how much time is actually involved in readjusting the whole floor plan layout and presenting various design options to stake holders.

What I am suggesting above and my many other wishes (Including other people’s) could potentially save at least an hour a day on larger projects or even more ?

Auto rotate to 90 deg or in 45 deg increments could be a good tool ? If when clicking on an object we get a rotate handle and not have to draw a line axis first before rotating the object.

In the long run the developers will get a list and they will choose what to develop first.

I don’t wish to discuss any of my wishes with you any longer and waste our valuable time.

Thank your for your post and your requests for the future development of Archicad.

A person spending lots of time working on library objects may not understand how much time is actually involved in readjusting the whole floor plan layout and presenting various design options to stake holders

Whatever you think you know about me or what I do is almost entirely false, but I have learned not to make assumptions about people's capabilities based on what they say...

While mtfd wish is valid, as all wishes are, for the purpose of the list we should be able to differentiate between wishes that could potentially benefit many if not all users and more idisincratic wishes that would benefit only the poster or few people. Of course, there is always the posibility that an idiosincratic wish might have the potential to alter the whole industry, but who knows? 

I think the purpose of all this should not be to try to make the perfect software that has everything for eceryone, but to identify the 20-30 features, large and small that, if implemented, would affect the most users. 

In order to be fair, its important to say that some wishes or concerns are beggining to appear in some of Graphisofts most recent polls, so thats good news

I am not saying that describes you because you would have a whole overview of many workflows in your practice. Some are hired just to design furniture or library parts and they would not be as familiar as those setting out room spaces or designing the actual building.

But just like me, you are one person and we can’t do all this work on our own, we need a team. Otherwise we might miss something that others might see that we don’t.

This is your post and I just mentioned some things that might benefit all of us to help us save some valuable time, that’s all.

Edit: Having had a good amount of time to think about it. I think you are definitely right, it will take a very long time to implement a suggestion like mine above. Why ? Because of the way Archicad works, in that it’s just not walls that can be stacked inside of each other in the same cyber space but many other elements can be stacked inside each other as well. There has to be a very good reason for this and why it hasn’t changed in many decades since. To reprogram Archicad to have no go zones for where an element already exists would probably require a big overhaul ? So they have allowed us humans to recognise that we shouldn’t place an element inside another element unless is absolutely necessary when designing something. I think I can see why they haven’t changed it by what I was able to do in recent project by placing a column right inside a wall junction ?