BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Archicad layer hide or lock

DavorP
Enthusiast

Why is it not possible to do either? It is very inconvenient to have a layer that can be used but cannot be hidden on layer combinations. Team uses it by mistake, I make the same mistake sometimes. Then it costs time to first bring to everyone's attention then wait for the fix, then send and receive, then republish x number of drawings or models. An hour of repeated work easily. I can imagine this happened thousands of times along the years and across the companies using Archicad. It has a measurable impact on productivity.

There are ways of QA with graphic overrides but this IMO is treating the symptoms. Preventing would be more efficient.

Can someone explain why is Archicad layer unique in this way? I have a vague idea that a model needs to have at least one layer. I am genuinely curious to find out.

Could it possibly be hidden on the back end entirely so it is not listed to users anywhere? This way the need for one layer is satisfied but possibility of using it is removed. Or it could be a work environment setting - to hide/show  or lock Archicad layer in all UI?

BIM manager
11 REPLIES 11

Thank you Barry, sorry if couldn't understand it well, I never thought about hiding or locking “Archicad layer” cuz it has to be there.

As written in Archicad help:

The Archicad Layer is a special layer that cannot be deleted, hidden or locked, since an Archicad project must always contain at least one layer. In case of a file error, any elements that may have lost their layer definitions will be placed on the Archicad Layer”.

AC 27 INT 5003/WIN 11
AMD Ryzen 7 5800H with Radeon Graphics 3.20 GHz 16.0 GB
Eduardo Rolon

And if this wish is granted then GS will start getting wishes for a Special Layer that cannot be turned off or locked.

This is one of the few items that I agree work as-designed and there is no need to change it.

Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Learn and get certified!