BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Associating printer with layout.

Anonymous
Not applicable
It would be very convenient if you could attach the printer to the layout. We tend to work with A1 (from a plotter) and A3 (from a printer). If we wish to print an A1 drawing, then an A3 drawing, then an A1 drawing, we have to do the following:

1. Go to Page Set up. Set the paper size and the printer
2. Go to Print. Set the printer (again!)
3. Print the drawing.
1. Go to Page Set up. Reset the paper size and the printer
2. Go to print. Set the printer (yet again!)
6. Print the drawing
7. Go to Page Set up. Reset the paper size and the printer (this is getting boring!)
8. Go to print. Set the printer (finally!)
9. Print the drawing.

I would assume that, if this could be done, then you could print a batch of mixed size drawings from Publisher.

- Keith

Archicad v. 11
on Mac OS 10.4.8
18 REPLIES 18
TomWaltz
Participant
What happens if you change your mind and want to send a layout to a different printer just once? Would you have to change it then set it back?
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes, but, for us at least, this would be a rare event, so any disadvantage would be far outweighed by the convenience of not having to keep entering the sheet size and the printer name.

Incidentally, is this only a problem on a MAC, as I suspect?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes, but, for us at least, this would be a rare event, so any disadvantage would be far outweighed by the convenience of not having to keep entering the sheet size and the printer name.

Incidentally, is this only a problem on a MAC, as I suspect?
Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
Keith wrote:
It would be very convenient if you could attach the printer to the layout. We tend to work with A1 (from a plotter) and A3 (from a printer). If we wish to print an A1 drawing, then an A3 drawing, then an A1 drawing, we have to do the following...
Isn't this the point of Masters and Publishing Sets?
MacBook Pro Apple M2 Max, 96 GB of RAM
AC26 US (5002) on Mac OS Ventura 13.5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Laura wrote:
Isn't this the point of Masters and Publishing Sets?
Well I guess you could have publishing sets which are grouped according to the printer. Is this what you had in mind?

Currently our publishing sets are grouped according to the purpose of the content (Building Control / Tender etc.). I suppose we could have BCA1, BCA3 ... What do other guys do?
Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
Our Publishing Sets are grouped by purpose and output device, for example:
Navigator_PS Sets.jpg
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Laura wrote:
Our Publishing Sets are grouped by purpose and output device, for example:
I agree with Laura. This is the purpose of publishing sets and is exactly how I set up all my templates. Although I tend to use just one master per size, that fits all devices, to keep the overheads down.

Also, in your Organizer, just be sure to use the Add Shortcut>>> button and select folders, (or the whole layout book), rather than dragging items over into your Publisher Sets. That way, any changes to the layout book, will be reflected in your Publisher Sets.

Cheers,
Link.
Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
Link wrote:
[Although I tend to use just one master per size, that fits all devices, to keep the overheads down.
This is what we do -- Construction Documents: 30x42 has one Master, but 3 Publishing Sets (one for check plots, one for final plots, and PDF).
TomWaltz
Participant
Laura wrote:
Link wrote:
[Although I tend to use just one master per size, that fits all devices, to keep the overheads down.
This is what we do -- Construction Documents: 30x42 has one Master, but 3 Publishing Sets (one for check plots, one for final plots, and PDF).
That's pretty much our setup too
Tom Waltz
Learn and get certified!