BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Autoscroll during wall (etc.) creation

Anonymous
Not applicable
In cheap little 2D programs like PowerCadd I could start a wall and drag the cursor to the edge of the screen and the screen would autoscroll in that direction.

Why can't my big 3D zillion dollar program do that? It would be quick because you don't have to swipe around with the mouse to scroll over to where you want to click the other end of wall, line, etc.

Thoughts?
13 REPLIES 13
Andy Thomson
Advisor
Could you also mouse-zoom and pan in powercadd? I can't say I have ever needed such a feature, it would probably prove to be more of a nuisance if you didn't want your view to automatically pan for you...my 2cents...
Andy Thomson, M.Arch, OAA, MRAIC
Director
Thomson Architecture, Inc.
Instructor/Lecturer, Toronto Metropolitan University Faculty of Engineering & Architectural Science
AC26/iMacPro/MPB Silicon M2Pro
Djordje
Ace
Frankly, zooming out from the beginning and then in to the end with the scroll wheel beats any autoscroll.

Yep, I liked it in the Softengine driver in DOS AutoCAD because you could not (that was in 1991 - YOU STILL CAN'T!!!!) zoom out and then in in the middle of something.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Karl Ottenstein
Yes, autoscroll can be faster, but other options include dragging the zoom box in the Nav Preview panel or panning the screen by pressing down on the mouse wheel.

In applications with autoscroll, I found myself zooming past where I wanted to go and ended up taking more time (even if fewer clicks) than the options that ArchiCAD makes available.

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Good points, everybody. It's not that different in time and convenience to zoom out and then back in mid-creation of an object. It's the usual thing of letting go of old habits unemotionally and accepting new ones without chafing at the sense of it being a work-around.

I finally got Pan to work with my Contour Mouse today by downloading USB Overdrive, which I use to make the mouse left-handed. The Contour driver disabled Pan with the scroll wheel. Now I'll be cadding with gas! (Btw My Mac OS 10.3.9 doesn't have the feature of making a mouse left-handed.)

In an ideal world I'd have the zoom option, the pan with mouse button option, AND the autoscroll option. Two out of three ain't bad...
Andy Thomson
Advisor
Doug, I believe if (in the USB OD interface) you set your wheel to 'autoscroll' or let 'OSX handle it' - whatever the options are there, you will get pan by pressing the wheel, and zoom-in/out by turning the wheel...

That's how it oughtta be.
Director
Instructor/Lecturer, Toronto Metropolitan University Faculty of Engineering & Architectural Science
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Doug wrote:
Good points, everybody. It's not that different in time and convenience to zoom out and then back in mid-creation of an object. It's the usual thing of letting go of old habits unemotionally and accepting new ones without chafing at the sense of it being a work-around.

I finally got Pan to work with my Contour Mouse today by downloading USB Overdrive, which I use to make the mouse left-handed. The Contour driver disabled Pan with the scroll wheel. Now I'll be cadding with gas! (Btw My Mac OS 10.3.9 doesn't have the feature of making a mouse left-handed.)

In an ideal world I'd have the zoom option, the pan with mouse button option, AND the autoscroll option. Two out of three ain't bad...

The Scroll Up/Down/Left/Right commands are available in ArchiCAD (UP/DOWN/LEFT/RIGHT arrows are the keyboard shortcuts as default, but you can customize them in the Work Environment)
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Photoshop has this feature and it works great! I would like to have it in AC too, perhaps with an option to switch it on and off in the Preferences!

Softengine was the best zoom/pan application I have ever seen! I still miss it both in AC and AutoCAD.

I would be great if we could zoom without the need of shortcuts! I even thought of making a poll about it but it would be just Djorje and me to vote "yes". If you hadn't tried it you would not miss it!

Back in AC9 times I made a poll for "Fit in window" to be achieved by double clicking the middle button. Like in Autocad. Response was 80% "No"! Now there it is in AC10! Does anyone use it but me?
Andy Thomson
Advisor
kliment wrote:
I would be great if we could zoom without the need of shortcuts!
Can you explain what you mean by this?
Director
TomWaltz
Participant
andyro wrote:
kliment wrote:
I would be great if we could zoom without the need of shortcuts!
Can you explain what you mean by this?
I'm picturing a Matrix-like mind jack... or someone who does not use a wheel mouse.
Tom Waltz
Learn and get certified!