BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Complex Profiles for Curved elements

Anonymous
Not applicable
If you have to ask you have probably have not fully investigated complex profiles. Think of 'complex' in terms of lots of elements, rather than silly shaped bits of stone.

In the same way that you predefine height, thickness and front/side/end materials, you can now predefine the complete wall construction including cavity stops, membranes, string courses, beams etc.

Then you can quickly build up a set of wall conditions (usually the number of storey height sections you need to give the builder), and then get designing.

Stop using standard walls with complex fill patterns and then moaning that the sections have not designed themselves. The design process is supposed to be a dress rehearsal for the real thing. Design the real thing with complex profiles. (HINT - always enable skin priorates to get better control over complex junctions/interfaces)

Here are a few benefits of this approach...

These complex profiles can be reused and tweaked for different jobs.

These complex profiles give you graphic control over parameters instead of designing by numbers, (ie you draw what you want to see/build instead of form filling - Architects take note) yet everything is still parametric.

These complex profiles give you total control of plan representations of complex building situations (where intelligent fill patterns would be impractical).

OK then, now agree with me that we need the ability to do this to curved elements.
3 REPLIES 3
TomWaltz
Participant
It's been wished for before, but I'll vote again!
Tom Waltz
__archiben
Booster
Bogman wrote:
Think of 'complex' in terms of lots of elements, rather than silly shaped bits of stone.
ahhhh! you mean "parametric assemblies"?! i think i've heard that somewhere before . . .

an absolutely essential development if BIM is to survive in archicad . . .

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Bruce
Expert
When ArchiCAD 10 touted the 'Complex Profiles' enhancement I was really excited.

I now have my first opportunity to use it on a job - and guess what? I need to use it on curved elements...this means that this you-beaut enhancement is useless to me. Bugger.
Bruce Walker
www.brucepwalker.com
Barking Dog BIM YouTube
Mindmeister Mindmap
-- since v8.1 --
AC27 5003 INT Full | Windows 11 64 Pro | 12th Gen Intel i7-12700H 2.30 GHz | 64 Gb RAM | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 32 Gb
Learn and get certified!