BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.
SOLVED!

Dashed Lines That Wrap rather than Gap at Corners!

Andy Thomson
Advisor
Again, autocad does this, we need to have this too! It makes for better 2D printed graphic qualities, a box drawn with a dashed line with gaps on corners looks nowhere near as good as when the dashes wrap - and this must apply to all 347 conditions in the model, not just once, which is why shifting the linetype isn't a satisfactory workaround....!
Andy Thomson, M.Arch, OAA, MRAIC
Director
Thomson Architecture, Inc.
Instructor/Lecturer, Toronto Metropolitan University Faculty of Engineering & Architectural Science
AC26/iMacPro/MPB Silicon M2Pro
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
James B
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
For reference here's the video:

James Badcock
Graphisoft Senior Product Manager

View solution in original post

45 REPLIES 45
__archiben
Booster
how do you control it though? do you squeeze the gap/dash proportions, or introduce a 'linetype origin' in the way that fills also have origins?

not disagreeing, just wanting to know how the solution you propose to deal with it works . . .

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Andy Thomson
Advisor
how does autocad do this? by shifting dashed lines so that line falls on corners preferentially, on as many corners as possible given the spacing? or by placing a corner 1/2 the dash length on all corners wherever the rest of the dashes fall?

I will check and post again...
Director
Instructor/Lecturer, Toronto Metropolitan University Faculty of Engineering & Architectural Science
TomWaltz
Participant
Again, the point of a poll is not "do you want this" it's "do you want this badly enough to to forego other requests."

I doubt anyone would say they prefer the "gaps" at the end, but how badly do they want the alternative?

Leave the default options!
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
Oh yes please.

I am gradually working through all my line types (and all the scaled variations of them) and editing them so that they begin with a dash instead of a gap.

This solves the problem, but on short lines it sometimes removes all the gaps as well!
KeesW
Advocate
Why would anyone choose to have a gap? This being the case, why not have archicad draw it this way as a default? Oh, the hungarian mind sometimes puzzles me!
Cornelis (Kees) Wegman

cornelis wegman architects
AC 5 - 26 Dell XPS 8940 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD 2TB HD RTX 3070 GPU
Laptop: AC 24 - 26 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD RTX 3070 GPU
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dashed lines that do not meet at the end are universally recognised as bad draughtsmanship. In the old days they even crossed a little, like all line junctions.

Until reading this subject I hadn't realised that it was actually the ArchiCAD default. This is hard to understand, since it always gives drawings a characteristic (and unwanted) limpness. Meanwhile I'll take up Keith Jaw's clever tip.

Iain
Andy Thomson
Advisor
I noticed that in the new 2172 build this has been implemented! Thanks GS!!!

Andy
Director
TomWaltz
Participant
andyro wrote:
I noticed that in the new 2172 build this has been implemented! Thanks GS!!!

Andy
They did? Mine still gap at the corners.
Tom Waltz
Andy Thomson
Advisor
maybe it's a pc-only thing?

oops! BTW, this is a very low-res PDF quickie, so there is a funny little tail on the corners, higher res. doesn't do this)

A
Director
Learn and get certified!