Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Dedicated Shared Resource File

Anonymous
Not applicable
After proposing a Dedicated Multilink Resource File in other topics related to issues in managing attributes on multi hotlinked projects, I decided to post the wish.
Here is what I propose:
1. A dedicated external file format (.rsf) that could pack not only Attributes but also: Model View Options, Dimensions, Graphic Overrides, Properties, Classifications, Schedules, Library Parts, Images, Drawings, Master Layouts and Favorites;
2. These files could be loaded in the Library Manager, and after loading them, all the resources would be available within the project;
3. The .rsf files could be edited and saved in a project with the Resource Manager;
4. Updated/Edited .rsf files would trigger a warning similar to a Module File Updater;
5. The Resource Manager could exchange resources from different .rsf files;
6. The Resource Manager could also concatenate different resources from multiple .rsf files and create new .rsf files.

With this workflow, we could create and manage a single .rsf file for: Multiple specific Office Standards, Team Work Project Resources, Manufacture/Commercial Resources in a single Package for easy download and maintaining. Manufacturers could create specific Properties, Schedules, Surfaces, Building Materials, etc...

What do you think?

20 REPLIES 20
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Sounds like an important wish to me.
I think the "Master" file could be a PLN, PLA, or a shared Teamwork file as well. Or, it could also be stored on a cloud storage location since every computer nowadays has internet, they would know immediately if any changes occurred in the file.
The main point is that there is a single source from which all other files get all these settings. Whenever there is any change in the main file, other files that are open get some kind of notification and they can be updated with the changes using delta technology.
Then a Dialog appears detailing what changes occurred in these settings.
A good question is whether the update would be immediate and mandatory, or the user would be given a choice as to when to update their settings.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for your thoughts Laszlo.

I proposed a new file format, to make it lighter than a .pln or .pla file. It would be a mix between .lcf and .att. But if the file size would be significant, I agree that a .pln or .pla would be even better.

The .pln solution would also benefit the Library Parts handling, as they could be embedded in the Master file and shared with linked projects. It would also allow to share Layouts and Publishing folder structures.

In a Team Work environment, if needed, everyone in the team could propose changes on a Master file, but only the BIM managers could approve them. Good for Office Standards/Templates.

The .pln could also have standard details that could be shared.

I can see lots of benefits.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Yes, interesting new thoughts about how these modification suggestions could work in TW.
I think it could be either a PLN, PLA, or a dedicated file format, just as there is a dedicated AAT file for attributes, but you can also get attributes from PLN/PLA files in the Attrbiture Manager.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Just to add to the description of the wish:

The workflow with this Resource File would be like this:

1. A Resource File could be created from any pln/pla/tpl file;
2. The Resource File could be linked/hosted by any other single/teamwork file;
3. All the resources from the Resource File would be "wired" (not just inserted) to the host file;
4. Changes in the Resource Files would be bidirectional. So, we could edit, for example, attributes in linked Resource File, and all the changes would be automatically updated (with a user notification) on every other host files; And we could also, on a host file, edit an attribute located on a Resource File;
5. The process would be the same on a Teamwork environment, regarding the user role on the project.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Continuing...
6. If we remove the Resource File in the Library Manager, all its resources would be removed from the host file;
7. This workflow would create the need for a new wish: A new "Create New Project" command with the option to create a new "Completely Empty Project" (No attributes, Embedded objects, Layouts, View Maps, etc). This way, we could be sure to start a project from scratch and only use Resources from specific Resource Files loaded on the Library Manager.
jl_lt
Ace
I really hope they implement something like this soon, as it would be INMEDIATELY helpful from the one man office to the multinational office.

I would also add the ability to substitute or mark layers and layers combinations so one can easily map existing layers with the layer structure of the global file.
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi All,

Thank you very much for creating this poll, and for those of you who voted to express their opinion.

I am happy to say we took notice of this wish and I have added it into our Wish List database (please refer to it as Wish #12813). Hopefully, our Product Management team will adopt this one in the future. Personally, I think this is an extremely cool idea!

Thank you all once more, and I wish you a great day!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Minh! Not only for your always professional feedback, but especially for your personal support. It means a lot for us.

I think this feature would allow not only to solve the well known issues on multiple hotlink attribute management, but it would also create a more flexible way for Manufacturers create, manage and deploy extremely detailed BIM content (Properties, Schedules, CP's, 2d Details, Surfaces... you name it!) for the community.
Waaaay better than Revit Families.
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Thank you for the kind words! I wish I could do more for Archicad users, but hopefully you guys will find my presence here helpful!

Have a nice day!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT