Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Dimension Orientation

Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
I wish that alt/opt clicking on a dim would pick up it's orientation.

If I alt/opt click on a vertical dim, the default should change to vertical. If I alt/opt click on a horizontal dim, the default should change to horizontal. I know that this is not an option within the tool's settings dialog (which is probably why it does currently function this way), but it should still be applicable.

I reckon it should be anyway

Cheers,
Link.
4 REPLIES 4
And when you pick points for a dimension that is obviously horizontal or vertical (X1=X2 or Y1=Y2), it should flip the orientation as necessary, rather than canceling.

It already recognizes the case (can't build a horizontal dim from two points where X1=X2), and handles it by canceling. It just needs to recognize what we mean rather than what we say.

For dimensioning walls, I always keep the angle method on, which does correctly orient the strings on the fly.
James Murray

Archicad 25 • Rill Architects • macOS • OnLand.info
Anonymous
Not applicable
Fully agree.. it's little things like this that add up to productivity and wether using a program is a pleasure.. Even lowly Datacad does this..
Anonymous
Not applicable
James wrote:
...It just needs to recognize what we mean rather than what we say.
How about having it pop up a short menu right next to the mouse location/3rd click as soon as you're ready to place the dimension with 3 options (horizontal, vertical, angled). That should solve most issues. Then again AutoCAD had a good way of dealing with this...

But yeah, at least pick up the orientation if we can't get the other "bells & whistles".
Anonymous
Not applicable
James wrote:
It already recognizes the case (can't build a horizontal dim from two points where X1=X2), and handles it by canceling. It just needs to recognize what we mean rather than what we say.
As James stated, it should'nt be too difficult to implement as AC already recognize that there will be no dimension line at all.

I think of an option that would be "auto-orientation of dimesion line" if in orthogonal mode, your dimension lines are vertical or horizontal and AC gets the orientation globally from the points you choose.