Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Dimensions shown on multiple stories

Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
There should be a way to make dimension strings visible on multiple stories (similar to the Grid Element). Copying dimensions renders them static, and having to dimension the same complex structural grid over the course of 30 stories seems ridiculous. (BTW -- I'm not comfortable hotlinking the structural grid and dimensions given the current state of the Grid Tool).
MacBook Pro Apple M2 Max, 96 GB of RAM
AC26 US (5002) on Mac OS Ventura 13.5
6 REPLIES 6
Karl Ottenstein
I posted a possible workaround here:
http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=103105#103105

I'm not really sure what I think of this concept of showing dimensions on multiple stories, since it could lead to some huge liability issues. But, hey, since you can make anything static, you can get yourself into a liability hole in a lot of ways. 😉

I guess I would support the wish if GS could implement it intelligently. When you place the dimension, it is associative to some element(s) on the home story. IMHO, such a dimension that is flagged for multiple stories should only be visible if those stories have elements of the exact same type (wall, beam, window, etc) having hotspots at exactly the same locations as on the home story. Without such a match, the dimension should be invisible I think...?

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi guys,
What I did when I had such cases, I selected the dimensions of the floor plan, exploded them copied and pasted into the other floors I needed!
It worked for me, it could work for you too!
Bard
Karl wrote:
I posted a possible workaround here:
http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=103105#103105

I'm not really sure what I think of this concept of showing dimensions on multiple stories, since it could lead to some huge liability issues. But, hey, since you can make anything static, you can get yourself into a liability hole in a lot of ways. 😉

I guess I would support the wish if GS could implement it intelligently. When you place the dimension, it is associative to some element(s) on the home story. IMHO, such a dimension that is flagged for multiple stories should only be visible if those stories have elements of the exact same type (wall, beam, window, etc) having hotspots at exactly the same locations as on the home story. Without such a match, the dimension should be invisible I think...?

Cheers,
Karl
Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
Bard wrote:
Hi guys,
What I did when I had such cases, I selected the dimensions of the floor plan, exploded them copied and pasted into the other floors I needed!
Exploding anything in AC is rarely the right solution. You can copy dimensions, but doing so renders them Static (as does exploding them!). I see the primary use for multi-story dimensions (as I stated before) would be for structural grids (the grid can be visible over multiple stories, why not their dimensions?).
MacBook Pro Apple M2 Max, 96 GB of RAM
AC26 US (5002) on Mac OS Ventura 13.5
Djordje
Ace
Laura wrote:
Bard wrote:
Hi guys,
Exploding anything in AC is rarely the right solution. You can copy dimensions, but doing so renders them Static (as does exploding them!). I see the primary use for multi-story dimensions (as I stated before) would be for structural grids (the grid can be visible over multiple stories, why not their dimensions?).
IMHE a simple CTRL click of a selected dimension to something existing will make it live again.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Djordje wrote:
Laura wrote:
Bard wrote:
Hi guys,
IMHE a simple CTRL click of a selected dimension to something existing will make it live again.
That is true (if only partly), but for the edification of others: when CTRL-clicking on a selected Dimension Point, only that Dimension Point will again become associative again, not the whole Dimension Chain.
Actually, the truth is more subtle than that: If you CTRL-click a point which has already been dimensioned by a static dimension point, the will now be two dimension points on top of each other: one is static and one is associative. Let us say the dimensioned point was the edge of a Window. If you move the Window you will see that the one dimension point will now become two because from the two dimension points on top of each other the static stays where it was but the associative moves with the Window.

I have long been dreaming about a feature in ArchiCAD which would intelligently convert static dimension point back into associative by intelligently finding points they may belong to.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Rod Jurich
Contributor
laszlonagy wrote:
Djordje wrote:
/.......

That is true (if only partly), but for the edification of others: when CTRL-clicking on a selected Dimension Point, only that Dimension Point will again become associative again, not the whole Dimension Chain.
Actually, the truth is more subtle than that: If you CTRL-click a point which has already been dimensioned by a static dimension point, the will now be two dimension points on top of each other: one is static and one is associative. Let us say the dimensioned point was the edge of a Window. If you move the Window you will see that the one dimension point will now become two because from the two dimension points on top of each other the static stays where it was but the associative moves with the Window.

I have long been dreaming about a feature in ArchiCAD which would intelligently convert static dimension point back into associative by intelligently finding points they may belong to.
Thank you Laszlo, an answer that makes sense.

I have never been able to do as Djordje suggests.
Expecting the whole chain to become live again was my error.
I try to keep away from static dims.

Lets hope your dream comes true
Rod Jurich
AC4.55 - AC14 INT (4204) |  | OBJECTiVE |