Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Do We Need A Better Way To Manage Materials ???????

Anonymous
Not applicable
The material settings and options are presently far too limited.

Materials have a kind of dual life. On one hand they exist as a specification such as `Red Paint`, `4" Bevel Siding`, `CT-1` describing the actual material and appearance. On the other hand they also need to be defined by application, as in `Main Floor Siding`, `Living Room Paint`, `Showroom Floor`, to indicate where the material is to be applied.

What is needed is the ability to create a list of material specifications independent of the material applications settings.

I have not thought through the implementation of this in much detail so feedback is encouraged. As I presently envision it the material settings would remain just as they are at the surface. An element would have its materials defined by picking the application which could still be named any way you like (`Stucco`, `Metal Roof`, `Sash & Trim Color`, etc.) but names based on specifications would become redundant and not recommended. It is in the materials definition (Options > Materials) that the change would be made.

In the materials definitions dialog would create a material name by application and then choose form a list of material specifications to assign to it. The specifications would still be defined in the same manner as they are presently, and presumably in the same dialog. It is the design and organization of this dialog that I don't have a clear picture of. It might just be an adaptation of the existing one or some combination with the way the composites are defined and/or the layers/combos.

An interesting bonus would be the ability to save and load specifications like favorites or library parts, probably using the .aat format or something like it. This way an office could have standard finishes that could be accessed from any project. There could even be files containing complete finish catalogs, like the full range from a paint company, wallpapers, brick, tile, etc.

This improvement would also make ArchiCAD much more appealing to interior designers. A market (like landscape architecture) that is notably under-served by CAD applications.
42 REPLIES 42
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dwight wrote:
I'm frustrated with how ArchiCAD manages materials. For instance, one scrolls through - in my case - an immense list of materials to get something at the bottom of the list - something even that was just used.

I know that ArchiCAD automatically opens the material of a selected object, but we need something better:
I want a tool that:
-- lets me change materials in the 3D window without changing out of the window. [NON MODAL]
-- create a new material withOUt the danger of messing up the original material
-- a way of tracking recently used materials to easily use again.

POLL: DO WE NEED A BETTER WAY TO MANAGE MATERIAL CREATION AND APPLICATION?
Hey Dwight,

I don't know how I missed this topic so far. You may recall my previous wish in this area: New Material Settings

Perhaps these should be combined, or at least maybe someone will post something new over there to bring it back alongside this one.

Naturally I vote "essential" along with better attribute management in general.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Matthew wrote:
Hey Dwight,

Perhaps these should be combined, or at least maybe someone will post something new over there ( http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=4782&start=20 ) to bring it back alongside this one.
Like this?
MSotero
Participant
It would be nice if the materials could be grouped in folders as defined by the user (or those expanding triangle things). And perhaps folders within folders. The current single list method is a challenge.

Folders could be named whatever makes sense to you.
For instance: Siding, Plaster, Fabrics, Metals, Rocks, Roofing, Planting,........

And have the ability to important entire folders to a project.
If you could do folders within folders then you might start with "XYZ Architects Materials" or "Residential" or "Landscape" or whatever.