Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Editing Complex profile with "Trace as Reference"

"Trace as Reference" drawing when editing Complex profile, so section or another active drawing will be shown in background of Complex profile editor. This way you can easily adjust complex profile to fit to drawing. Drawing must be placed in same position as it was in active plan/section/façade view, so you will have feeling that you editing complex profile in project not in separate editing space.

AlgimantasKuprenas_0-1678786992919.png

GRAPHISOFT BIM Manager Training Week attendee
ArchiCAD v9 - v26 INT / NOR (5002)
cpu i5-12600K @ 5.0Ghz, ram 32GB, gpu 1060 GTX
ssd NVMe, Windows 11
ArchiCAD Discord channel: https://discord.gg/QdWxSJ33

10 REPLIES 10
Emre Senoglu
Expert

Great suggestion Algimantas. Do you maybe mean 'reference' instead of 'raytrace'? The term 'raytrace' has become a popular term in visualization and 3d rendering, so it might sound a little confusing for people who are more used to this use of the term.

AC26 ARM // MBP M2 Max // Twinmotion | Corona | Rhino

www.senoglu.dk

Hi @Emre Senoglu,

You are right. Fixed this term in Thread 😉

GRAPHISOFT BIM Manager Training Week attendee
ArchiCAD v9 - v26 INT / NOR (5002)
cpu i5-12600K @ 5.0Ghz, ram 32GB, gpu 1060 GTX
ssd NVMe, Windows 11
ArchiCAD Discord channel: https://discord.gg/QdWxSJ33

jl_lt
Ace

This would speed up so many things.  

This would be another wish, but an interfase where you can integrate many complex profiles (nested complex profiles?) would also be nice to have

Tim Ball
Expert

I agree this would be useful

as a workaround I draw fills over the section then cut and paste them into the CP

Tim Ball

AC26, iMac

User since V5

Even better would be an "in-place" Complex Profile Editing option (obviously available only in Section or Elevation windows for obvious reasons, unless you're editing a column complex profile or a railing post profile that you can see in plan), that allows you to edit the profile in its context, much like AutoCAD's "in-place" block editor, and where it grays out the surrounding but you can still snap to things in the context and potentially even see your changes in real time with other objects with the same profile in the view as you make the changes.

That way you can even have both a trace refenced  reference AND the actual model context in the same view as which you're editing and adjusting your custom complex profile.

Seems like a no-brainer (to me) update that should have been done to the Complex Profile  Editor like 5 years ago or something (a.k.a. only 10 years after they first introduced Complex Profiles way back in ArchiCAD v10/11)

that would be amazing. The "Patch" object already does a snapshot of the elements in view, next step: save it as a profile and let me edit it in context. 

arch. ernest atanasiu
AC 10-26 INT/GER/FR on Win 10/ Win 11
4hotshoes
Advisor

This was something I brought up before and GS responded. 
https://community.graphisoft.com/t5/Wishes-forum/Trace-and-Reference-to-be-available-in-the-Profile-...

Todd Oeftger
AC27 Mac MacBook Pro 15", 2019, 2.3 GHz i9, 32GB, Radeon Pro 560X 4GB, 500GB SSD, 32" Samsung Display (2560x1440)

That wasn't really a response, though.

I mean it was a "response" in the sense that they responded to the topic, but it wasn't a response in terms of actually addressing the issue or saying what their intentions are in that regard.

The person responding merely said that their Product management team (I would assume the ones responsible for deciding which features or tools get addressed) had seen the post, and that (....and I'm quoting here because it's important...) ..."Hopefully",...they might do something about it sometime in the future.

In other words, ...."we've seen the post, now keep your fingers crossed that it gets picked out from our long laundry list of pending issues to be fixed".

In other other words, even the person responding doesn't know if it's something that will actually get addressed or fixed, only that those tasked with doing so are aware it's been raised.

4hotshoes
Advisor

I understand your disappointment on the response, but normally we hear nothing. When they respond like this, such requests get evaluated and possibly scheduled. So a little hope is better than nothing. Of course that was two years ago. 

Todd Oeftger
AC27 Mac MacBook Pro 15", 2019, 2.3 GHz i9, 32GB, Radeon Pro 560X 4GB, 500GB SSD, 32" Samsung Display (2560x1440)