Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Manager!

Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Enable 3D Rotate for Everything

isaacjpu
Booster

There, i said it.

isaacjpu_0-1673463581057.png

Why? 

If official help topics lead you to editing code or 3rd party add-ons, i'd say there's a pretty clear weakness in the program. It's already so easy to change the editing plane in Archicad; just let me rotate around it.

Also, RE: Morph Conversion:

Morphs aren't parametric anymore, defeating the purpose of using GDL objects in the first place.

...I just wanted to hang a frying pan on the wall. '^'

6 REPLIES 6

Hello @isaacjpu,

"...I just wanted to hang a frying pan on the wall. "

Nothing could be simpler. Just use this tool provided for this purpose :

https://bimcomponents.com/GSM/Details/9125

Christophe - FRANCE
Archicad Designer and Teacher
Archicad 15 to 27 FRA FULL

OS 11.6 Big Sur - MacBook Pro 2017 - 16Go RAM
"Quality is never an accident ; it's always the result of an intelligent effort" John Ruskin

Oh, neat! Thanks for the workaround, Christophe.

"Nothing could be simpler."

Being able to do this without downloading an extra tool would  be simpler though.

Being able to freely rotate geometries is an important step for a more general approach to modelling where geometries are freed from their limiting preconceptions of what they should be and how they should behave.

"Built by architects, for architects" '-'

CarmelM
Newcomer

In earlier versions you used to be able to rotate these objects that now Graphisoft says cannot be rotated.  I've just spent 15 minutes trying to 3D rotate a slab and can't do it.  Now I know why I can't do it.

@CarmelM wrote:

In earlier versions you used to be able to rotate these objects that now Graphisoft says cannot be rotated.  I've just spent 15 minutes trying to 3D rotate a slab and can't do it.  Now I know why I can't do it.

We never could freely rotate elements (objects yes, if they are scripted to do so, or you use the rotator object linked to in the post by Christophe).

You can rotate a slab in the horizontal (X-Y plane) but you can not tilt it.

Then it would be a roof.

Walls, beams and columns can be tilted with built in settings, but they can not be freely rotated.

It is probably because it would upset their geometry (trimming abilities, etc.), plan representation  and just be confusing when they don't respond as you would expect (i.e increase height (thickness) of a slab and the width changes because you have rotated (tilted) it by 90°).

And to what point would you measure the element's height above project zero if the reference line/place it rotated?

The only elements that have a free rotation are the morph and shell, which is one of the reasons why we have them.

And I guess you could include the new opening tool as well - although that is more of an object anyway.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11