BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Feature Request: "Return" key to save small edits in Selection Settings

NateLumen
Booster

Here's the issue: When going into Selection Settings, the cursor automatically goes to the search bar. This is fine, except when making small changes such as clicking a dropdown button in an element's settings to select from a handful of features for that element, the cursor remains in the search bar so instead of the Return or Enter button closing out of the Selection Settings dialog, it engages the search and if hit again it selects a new element from the search to replace the element selected.

Any bigger change to the element settings will move the cursor out of the search bar and the Return key will close out the dialog with the settings saved. What would be great is if the program could register any change to the element's settings and once the change is made, the Return key would close out of the Selection Settings dialog. Too many times I make a small change and then instead of closing, I hit return and have replaced a light switch with a fire hydrant, or what have you.

Anyone else?

8 REPLIES 8
Barry Kelly

What version and language of Archicad?

What operating system?

I just checked in 22 & 26 AUS with an object and my cursor does not go into the search box, unless I click in the search box.

Then the next time I open the object settings it will have the search active.

But click back on the 'folder view' (chair icon), and then next time I open the settings the cursor it is not in the search box.

So it remembers what you last select.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

Have you checked the mouse driver options? My mouse never moves without my input. 

arch. ernest atanasiu
AC 10-26 INT/GER/FR on Win 10/ Win 11

Hi Barry,

Archicad 26 USA

macOS Monterey 12.6

The way you describe the issue, Barry, is exactly the way I'm experiencing it. I can see that the cursor is where I last left it, but if it's in the search bar and I were to use a drop down in the element settings, the cursor wouldn't switch to that side so a Return button would do a search instead of an "OK" to save the settings. It's a minor thing but it slows down the work flow.

I am not on a Mac, so not sure if they behave differently.

But for me ...

BarryKelly_0-1691714588703.png

When I reopen the settings dialogue, the cursor returns to the search bar if I left it on that setting.

But it moves out as soon as I click anywhere else.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27
ElmerBastarache
Participant

Any update?

Archicad 26 5003 USA FULL Apple Silicon

MAC Studio M2

Ventura 13.52

Hi Barry,

I have the same issue that I believe the OP was trying to describe.   Here is the trail of events:

Highlight/select the object needing editing.

Object settings menu opens for the highlighted object.

(At this point, the previous search term text is still in the search box but all information visible to the right of the menu is for the highlighted object)

The only changes made are to drop-down menu settings.  No typing or use of the keyboard.

Hit the return key on the keyboard. 

(This is the point at which all edits made to the highlighted/selected object are dropped and the right-hand side of the Object menu changes to the most recent searched item.)

Only when you click the OK button on the screen, which requires moving the mouse and therefore the cursor, will it apply the changes. 

The frustration arises because it is intuitive to hit the return key since the Okay button is highlighted blue...so you expect the return key to initiate the Okay button and save the changes you just made, but instead it re-initiates the search window.   And now you have to go back through and re-edit, while also trying to remember that you can't intuitively hit the return key...you must use the mouse to click Okay.

Is there a way for the Object Settings menu to recognize that changes have been made to the object so THAT is the command you are initiating when you intuitively hit the return key?

Archicad 26 5003 USA FULL Apple Silicon

MAC Studio M2

Ventura 13.5.2

Or conversely, when the Object settings menu opens it displays the most recently searched object in the right hand side of the menu, then prompting you to delete the search term and re select the object that needs editing.

Maybe it is just a Mac issue?

Or I am nit understanding the problem.

The only changes made are to drop-down menu settings.  No typing or use of the keyboard.

Hit the return key on the keyboard. 

(This is the point at which all edits made to the highlighted/selected object are dropped and the right-hand side of the Object menu changes to the most recent searched item.)

Only when you click the OK button on the screen, which requires moving the mouse and therefore the cursor, will it apply the changes. 

I search for a coffee machine and I place that object.

I then place a coffee table - it still show 'coffee' in the search.

Table places fine.

I select the table and open settings - it still shows 'coffee' in the search and the cursor is in the search box, but the settings on the right are for the table.

I change the plan pen colour, the cursor is no longer in the search box, I press ENTER on the keyboard, and the table changes colour.

BarryKelly_0-1694741338243.png

Is this not happening for you?

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27
Learn and get certified!