BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Find And Replace in PM

Anonymous
Not applicable
Find And Replace Option for Plot Maker
It's look like paradox not have "find and replace" option in Project Layout Application.
It's needed not so often, but needed!
And it's not difficult for GS to modify AC's "Find and Replace" for PM.
7 REPLIES 7
__archiben
Booster
in fact: a global 'find and replace'!!!

it currently only works in floor plan windows. sections, elevations, details, lists, interior elevations, etc, etc, etc . . . also need addressing!

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Anonymous
Not applicable
~/archiben wrote:
in fact: a global 'find and replace'!!!

it currently only works in floor plan windows. sections, elevations, details, lists, interior elevations, etc, etc, etc . . . also need addressing!

~/archiben
I just recently tried the find and replace and was amazed that it Did search within the section/elevation windows. You do need to activate it from the floor plan window, though. Would be nice if you could activate the text that is to be replace to get the proper context.
Karl Ottenstein
OK, you guys have me completely confused.

AFAIK, with AC 9 itself, "Find and Replace" is a command that is only active for the scripts of a GDL object.

Within the model, there is the "Search and Replace Text..." command, which works in plan, section and detail. And the "Find and Select" command that works everywhere.

Within PM 9, I have "Find and Select", but I don't have "Search and Replace Text..."

So... am I totally missing something, or are we talking about "Search and Replace Text..." being missing in PM here?

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
__archiben
Booster
Karl wrote:
OK, you guys have me completely confused.
sorry karl!

original topic was 'Search (or find) and Replace Text' in plotmaker. your own post has highlighted the inconsistencies of what ought to be a simple text operation:

find and replace
find and select
search and replace
Within the model, there is the "Search and Replace Text..." command, which works in plan, section and detail. And the "Find and Select" command that works everywhere.
i want to be able to find and replace text in sect/elev windows. i haven't tried millard's suggestion of activating it from the floor plan window yet, but i've never been able to get it to work from a sect/elev window even if the text i want to replace is staring me in the face in bold letters!!!

if, as millard suggests, i need to activate it from the floor plan window it just goes to highlight the complete butchery graphisoft manages to carry out to usability and user interfaces . . .

my global 'find and replace' post was targeted at text operations and wanting it to be consistent throughout the entire process (AC->PM). call it what you will - just make it intuitive, consistent and work!

cheers
~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
Karl Ottenstein
~/archiben wrote:
i want to be able to find and replace text in sect/elev windows. i haven't tried millard's suggestion of activating it from the floor plan window yet,...
I don't need to activate in the floor window...?

When I'm in a Section/Elev window, the command is available in the Edit menu and comes right up. Tested a change (I better not save this file!!) where I changed all "E" to "Q" ... and it worked, other than all E's in the entire project were changed, not just the ones in the Section! Oops.

It is bizarre that this "works" for me. I say "works" because this functionality is not particularly useful (complete global change): if I open the Filter options for Search and Replace, filters are only based on stories ... not on "current window" (e.g., Section, or Detail). Very limited and not well-thought out. And, of course the 'story' filter has no meaning in sections... everything is changed regardless of the setting.

Karl
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
__archiben
Booster
i have no trouble activating 'Search and Replace...' from a section/elevation window, karl, it just doesn't do anything!

anyway. more confusion:

i've just written the word "ben" and pasted it several times into my project file: stories, sects, elev windows . . .

then: 'Search and Replace...' the string "ben" with "karl" it found and replaced 17 instances none of which were the single worded "ben" text blocks that i just placed. (possibly because the filters/settings were set to "contain" the string, not "is" the string???)

it gets stranger . . . having realised, like you, that i'd probably just replaced a whole bunch of unrelated words with bizarre strings (i.e. "35mm bleached oak karlch top"), i decided to reverse the process: without changing the filters/settings i did the same to replace "karl" with "ben". it only found 11 instances? what happened to the other 6??? i even repeated all of this to confirm that my eyes weren't deceiving me!

next: instead of activating 'Search and Replace...' from a sect/elev window, i performed the same operation from the floor plan. all my floor plan instances of "ben" changed to "karl", but none of the sect/elevs window ones did, (filter set to "All Stories").

i would politely suggest to other users of this 'feature': don't. for the time being anyway! who knows what might happen . . . another stunning example of graphisoft feature ineptitude. although i guess we should've nailed it at beta . . .

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
Karl Ottenstein
~/archiben wrote:
i have no trouble activating 'Search and Replace...' from a section/elevation window, karl, it just doesn't do anything!
That and your subsequent experiments are a bit scary to read about. It worked for me in section, with "contain". Didn't try "is".

Yeah, sounds like we didn't test this very thoroughly. A crime what you get with unpaid labor these days. 😉

Karl
Learn and get certified!