Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

First Whinge -- clean up in sections & Elevations

Paul King
Advisor
I really, REALLY wish that roofs, walls and slabs that are perfectly flush, exactly touching, and of the same material cleaned up poperly in elevation (i.e. no dividing lines show between objects) - just like they do in section (i.e. when section cut line passes through rather than in front of the objects) .

This inconsistency is making my life hell when attempting to make a complex model work both in section and elevation.

Clean up in elevation sometimes happens between dissimilar element types - but not consistently, and sometimes never - e.g. when a slab abuts a corner of walls.
It sometimes does not even happen between flush identical adjacent walls under some conditions - e.g. at a 3 way intersection.

I wish that coincident or overlapping objects between modules did not display weirdly in section or elevation if user selected a module "merge" function - because when placing large numbers of modules on multiple stories, the last thing you need is to have to create twenty slightly different variations for local/unique intersection conditions where these are required purely for ArchiCAD clean up purposes.

I also wish that "trim walls to slab" was implemented as for roofs

I wish that I could Boolean one module with another

I wish that walls that mitre together around corners only did so for the length of the common surface, and could mitre in other directions above & below when met by other walls at different heights & angles.

I wish that 3 way intersections of composites worked without the huge trial & error process & fudging between 2D & 3D.

I wish that composites of dissimilar element types cleaned up in section & could be trimmed to each other in section/elevation window as for walls in plan

I wish that I could edit attached modules directly within the master file (as micro station can) rather than having to constantly reload master files of assembled modules every time to check the interaction between modules with each change.

I wish I did not have to face the embarrassment of explaining why anything more structurally complex than a house takes so much longer to model realistically and cleanly than to draw in section - especially with multiple interacting module types. If you implement the above wish list, this would be solved!

Even in AC8.1 I seem to be spending substantially more time finding workarounds for ArchiCAD limitations in correcting joint line artefacts in section & elevation than actually progressing the building design or documentation!

You may have guessed I have a deadline looming!

Cheers

BTW is anybody irritated at these emoticons yet?
PAUL KING | https://www.prime.net.nz
ArchiCAD 8-27 | Twinmotion 2023
Windoze 11 PC | Intel Core i9 10900K | Nvidia Gforce RTX 3080 | 32 Gb DDR3 | 2x4K monitor extended desktop
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable
wish that walls that mitre together around corners only did so for the length of the common surface, and could mitre in other directions above & below when met by other walls at different heights & angles.

I relate to this one 100 percent. I wind up breaking a wall into two layers and heights. What if a window or door spans that break? Too much work as a work around.

Emoticons?
This one makes me think of my own Irish complexion. Particularly after a pint of guiness. But then, this may be a topic for the pub.

Added whinge...I hit delete to erase some text and the entire post disappeared. I had to start over. If this posts twice, please forgive me. It is rather early.
Laci Neda
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Added to wishlist.
László Néda
Architect
Business Development Manager
GRAPHISOFT SE
Djordje
Ace
Laci,
Laci wrote:
Added to wishlist.
Add this one too: curved elements in S/E should be arcs, not bunch of lines.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
Laci Neda wrote:
Added to wishlist.

Yes, yes. I'm tired or erasing 100 itsy bitsy lines that make up an arc or circle in section view. Wonder why it does this in the first place.
Djordje
Ace
Sergio wrote:
Laci Neda wrote:
Added to wishlist.
Yes, yes. I'm tired or erasing 100 itsy bitsy lines that make up an arc or circle in section view. Wonder why it does this in the first place.
I am tired of blushing when a consultant or an AutoCAD draughtsman smirks at the millions of little lines ... and curses me accordingly. No, it is not the export, it is like that in ArchiCAD!

How do I dimension the radius of the arched opening in the elevation or detail of an elevation? Draw arcs over it? Very Virtual Building!
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen