BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

GDL interaction with construction elements

Anonymous
Not applicable
I can't stop thinking of all the possibilities this would offer.
You could get profile from lines on the plan, for an extrusion of an object, link object together, actually everything for parametric modelling.
You could even make something like history+grasshopper in Rhino.
And you could algorithmically generat buildings instead of closed objects.
And when some people ask why, I just can't answer because my head is going into an infinite loop of possibilities.
If it is not GDL then it could be a script language that could link objects and building elements.
It's not the first time I mention this, but everytime I do GDL I get this bad feeling of being enclosed in a jail.
6 REPLIES 6
Erika Epstein
Booster
Olivier,
As it is you proposing this it must be awesome, but I am not familiar enough with what you are proposing to fully understand. Could you elaborate?

For example you say:
"You could get profile from lines on the plan, for an extrusion of an object, link object together, actually everything for parametric modelling." We can make a custom profile from linework and get an extrusion, but what kind of linkage are you proposing?
and
"You could even make something like history+grasshopper in Rhino.
And you could algorithmically generat buildings instead of closed objects."
Not having used Rhino I don't know to what you are referring.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Rob
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
AFAIK there is already similar solution in the MEP extension. The HVAC GDL objects are 'aware' of themselves so when you attach let's say a duct profile to another the connection will be 'healed' automatically. Well that's what I have heard but probably someone with a real MEP experience could elaborate on this here.
::rk
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello Erika,
this is a link to an example of the kind of parametric modelling you can do with rhino :
http://designreform.net/2009/04/13/rhino-grasshopper-tower-tutorial-part-01/
For the line, my example was not much developped I must recognize. I was thinking about this: Using the Accessory add-on you can make objects that follows a slab. Then you can extrude or do whatever you want with this shape.
But it would be great to pick a polyline on the plan that would be the path along which to extrude this shape instead of extruding just linear.
If I would like to make the Rhino example then the polyline would be the vertical profile of the building.
As it is an object you could through GDL make parametrically levels, balconys, rails.etcc.
And when you would modify the profile of the polyline, you would change the building.
That is just an example out of millions
Cheers,
Olivier
Erika Epstein
Booster
Hello Olivier,
Thank you for the explanation and the link. It will be great when archicad incorporates such techniques and the ability to more easily make non-orthagonal buildings and elements. Archicad has added quite a bit of since I first started with it. The incorporation of the custom profiler for one makes work much easier.

I have MEP and yes, the way it connects cleaning up automatically is wonderful. That and clash analysis are two aspects that I look forward to having incorporated into the rest of the program.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
owen
Newcomer
Oliver,

thanks for that link .. i try to keep up with DesignReform but missed that one. It is a perfect example of applying parametrics on a project-wide scale - and not only relevant to that 1% of 'starchitecture'.

Here is something relevant at a slightly smaller scale ... how to break that 3D curved roof into constructable, identical triangular panels:

http://www.vimeo.com/3152539

That stuff is not rocket science .. we should be able to do it in ArchiCAD. Please nod if you understand Graphisoft

cheers,

os
cheers,

Owen Sharp

Design Technology Manager
fjmt | francis-jones morehen thorp

iMac 27" i7 2.93Ghz | 32GB RAM | OS 10.10 | Since AC5
Wokka
Contributor
owen wrote:
Oliver,

http://www.vimeo.com/3152539

That stuff is not rocket science .. we should be able to do it in ArchiCAD. Please nod if you understand Graphisoft

cheers,

os

Beautiful stuff! Wouldn't that be nice...
Warwick Lloyd-Martin
3 D E N V I R O N M E N T
http://www.3de.com.au
Windows 11 Pro 64bit
ArchiCad 4.55>27 AUS
Lumion 12.5/2023
D5 Render
Learn and get certified!