BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

GDL paper manuel

Anonymous
Not applicable
I need a GDL paper manuel.
Electronic documentation never replace a book.

Before v8, it was include in the package, with every new release.
I understand that GS want to make somme economies.

A least give each user the choice between the initiation volume,
(which i don't need) and the GDL volume,
or any other solution, but please GS, give us the choice.
8 REPLIES 8
Vitruvius
Contributor
I fully agree.

Essential documentation for ArchiCAD should be the User Guides and the GDL Manual. This is a high end application for which GDL is a key component. Why has this one critical manual been dropped whilst all the other documentation is still included? It just doesn't make any sense.
Cameron Hestler, Architect

AC 24 & 25 (3011) / MacMini i7-8700B @ 3.2 GHz / 32GB Ram / 512GB SSD

LG Ultrafine 4K monitor 22" & 27”

Mac OS 11.6 Big Sur
TomWaltz
Participant
Paper is only a couple dollars a ream. You can print the electronic manuals pretty easily, if you want it that badly.

Personally, I prefer the searchability of electronic documentation. It makes finding what you need far faster than you could ever find it in a paper manual. It even turns up obscure places you may not think to look for something.
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
I also electronic version to find something, but then I wish to read it carefully on paper. It saves my eyes.
TomWaltz
Participant
For a lot of our users, I encourage them to find what they need electronically, then print out the pages they need.
Tom Waltz
You can also get a print service to print the PDF, bound however you like. I have a lovely spiral-bound AC81 GDL manual, with sticky tabs that I have been moving from book to book since 6.0.

IMHO: Electronic searching is far, far superior to flipping through the book, IF you don't know where something is. For looking up something you always use but just can't remember, a tabbed hard copy is better. And it certainly never hurts to look at something other than the screen for a few seconds a day.

(Oh, and if printing the book somehow violates the license agreement or something, just forget I ever stopped by.)
James Murray

Archicad 25 • Rill Architects • macOS • OnLand.info
Vitruvius
Contributor
I guess what I'm saying is that for a high end package like AC I want both. I use the electronic files and book with equal frequency and I feel that given the cost of an upgrade I want the book included as it has always been. They still include the "Step-by-Step Tutorial" in upgrades?

I've tried, but for the life of me I still can't figure out how to annotate my GDL electronic copy.
Cameron Hestler, Architect

AC 24 & 25 (3011) / MacMini i7-8700B @ 3.2 GHz / 32GB Ram / 512GB SSD

LG Ultrafine 4K monitor 22" & 27”

Mac OS 11.6 Big Sur
Anonymous
Not applicable
The question is not electronic documentation vs paper manual.
Everyone, is free to prefer one way or another.
I know and use both, and print my own documentation.

The question is,
until the package contains some books, I would like to have
the ability to CHOOSE which one i need, and which one i don't.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I agree that a paper copy is easier to read, but what about the fact that a high percentage of users would never use much of it.

I guess I am looking at it from the eco-friendly side of the issue ie: lets save some paper instead of printing off reams of it unecessarily. Any way with the money GS saves on printing they could spend it on fixing all the problems in AC.

If you want to add notes you could always get a copy of Acrobat (not Acrobat Reader, but the full package) and use the notes tool.

Roolio
Learn and get certified!