Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Graphic Overrides - Line Category based

squall_tmo
Booster

Hi!

In Archicad we can't control the representation of every line in a custom way and this may cause problems in the representation (especially in sections):

Schermata 2021-10-01 alle 11.01.21.pngSchermata 2021-10-01 alle 11.08.17.png

This kind of errors may be probably managed by just giving the possibility to override lines by category (like we can do for fills).

Secondly (less useful...but anyway good in my opinion), according to the pictures above, it would be nice to give the "overall intersection priority" to roofs instead of walls.

Many thanks for your attention and work!

10 REPLIES 10
Erwin Edel
Rockstar

If you use Solid Element Operation instead of connect / trim / merge, you get clean cuts.

It also helps to have multiple building materials with different priorities for fine tuning connections.

You get very clean connections and very little need to add 2D patching with fills, lines or 2D objects.

sample_section.jpg

Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5

I'm afraid, but SEO doesn't work with material priorities.

Anyway I'm using correctly the priority system, so as you can see materials are correctly related one each other.

To work with 2D elements and patches it's not exactly what I'm looking for, and mine is just a suggestion to improve some features in a quite easy way.

I'm sorry if my remark read the wrong way: I meant we do not use 2D patching in sections / elevations at all.

I'm not taking away from your wish, just offering modelling advice based on your screenshot.

It might also be fixed if you change the black pen lin for the edge of your composite skin to be the brown line from the seperator skin.

Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5

I agree that the 2D drafting functionality need to be enhanced. As noted here I think AC has some unrealised potential when it comes to linework. To me AC seems to keep good track of the lines but as a users I am limited in what to do with them.

The example you show is interesting and is somewhat related to what I discussed. The "floating" line is the coincidence of the line pen in the roofs composite separator and the line pen in the walls skin.  

It turns out that if you set the line pen for the skin to a thickness larger than that of the separator then the skin will have priority - breaking the separator, creating a thicker segment. Similar is true if you don't have a separator. If you instead set the the line pen for the skin to a thickness smaller or equal to that of the separator then the separator will have priority - remaning intact.

This seem a bit strange and perhaps something for @Minh Nguyen to look into? Surely the default should be that the separator line pen has priority regardless of the thickness of skin line pen?

thesleepofreason_2-1633120122515.png

thesleepofreason_3-1633120436701.png

thesleepofreason_5-1633120558067.png

Yes you are right, the thicker line will get a priority, which very often creates this kind of unwanted behaviour. I beleive Archicad should either give you option to set custom pen for end segment of each material in a sandwich or at least a chekbox that would reverse this behaviour, as more often than not, it will result in incorrect display. Also the fact that the same pen is used when certain material is itersected by a material with higher priority and when it is inerupted by say window/door opening, creates a need for a lot of unnecessary workarounds. (actually the only situation when this default setting works for me is when I have a sandwitch with an air gap and then it displays it correctly)
This I belive should be on top of the agenda to improve as there are whole markets where Archicad users have to choose either to deliver documentation that is not up to code, or to do manual drafting that by its nature adds tim (and cost) and more importantly can result in erros due to nature of the job.

From Archicad 8.5 all the way to the present.
Passionate Autocad hater as well.
Wish to save palets and menus individualy in work enviroments:
https://bit.ly/3pg3Bx7
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni

Dear all,

Thank you very much for the reports so far!

It seems to be a familiar one to us, however, we couldn't come up with an exact answer right away. Would it be possible for you to share with us a small example file for a closer look?

Thank you very much for your help!

Best regards,

Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

Sure, I can provide billions...if it's ok I can start by sharing one with a time-limited we transfer:

https://we.tl/t-On7K6XVsSl

the problem is that:

if you color just the end of the wall with a "material - Cut Lines" pen (eg. pen 143) you risk to have wrong representation in floor plan and near windows;

Schermata 2021-10-06 alle 13.46.45.png

if you color those end wall lines with a "Element - Cut Structural" pen (eg pen 27) you can be pretty sure that sections (along intersection between walls and Slabs/Roofs) will be wrong:

Schermata 2021-10-06 alle 13.47.34.png

The fastest way (in my opinion) to solve this problem, is to add the possibility to override just certain categories of lines (because for some strange reasons AC does something similar while exporting DWG files with some settings, so I suppose that it's possible even when we create Graphic Overrides).

Many thanks for your attention and work.

Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni

Hello,

Thank you very much for the file and the detailed explanation!

The issue happens with Trim Elements to Roof/Shell function then.

I have created a support case in our system for further investigation. As soon as I learn more about it I will let you know!

Best regards,

Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

@Minh Nguyen wrote:

[...]

The issue happens with Trim Elements to Roof/Shell function then.

[...]

It also happens when you cut with roof, but as I wrote it happens in really a lot of cases:

Schermata 2021-10-07 alle 09.35.34.png

If you need it, I can provide even other files, but as I wrote the fast answer is the possibility to Override lines by category: this will solve everything at once!

Many thanks for you help!

Best regards,

Matteo