Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Graphical Improvements to lines

Anonymous
Not applicable
Lines which have square ends and the ability to show a line thickening left or right of the origin (see Informatix' MicroGDS method of doing this). At the moment we feel that this is ArchiCAD's biggest flaw. A much more presentable drawing could be produced with line thickening options.
22 REPLIES 22
Djordje
Ace
csparchitects wrote:
Lines which have square ends and the ability to show a line thickening left or right of the origin (see Informatix' MicroGDS method of doing this). At the moment we feel that this is ArchiCAD's biggest flaw. A much more presentable drawing could be produced with line thickening options.
Thickening?

As in one width at the start and another at the end?

Can you post an image of what you wish?
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Geoff Briggs
Mentor
May I add my line improvement wish. That dashes share a common origin so superimposed dashed lines of the same type look like a single dashed line instead of a longer dash or solid line.

I'd like to use roof objects, displayed one story down, to show the line of roof above with a dashed line. But ridges and valleys appear as solid lines. Thus this little inconsistency forces additional drafting and coordination.
Regards,
Geoff Briggs
I & I Design, Seattle, USA
AC7-27, M1 Mac, OS 14.x
Dave Jochum
Advocate
Geoff wrote:
I'd like to use roof objects, displayed one story down, to show the line of roof above with a dashed line. But ridges and valleys appear as solid lines. Thus this little inconsistency forces additional drafting and coordination.
That's always bugged me. It's a concept of drafting that is so basic, I don't understand how it could be overlooked for so long.
Dave Jochum
J o c h u m A R C H I T E C T S http://www.jochumarchitects.com
MBP 16" (M1 Max) 64 GB•OS 13.5.2•AC 27 Silicon (latest build)
Ben Cohen
Enthusiast

Do you mean "back lining" ie: when showing a brick wall in section the "thickened" line is shown on the inside of the elements edges, not just making the line thicker on both sides of it's origin.

See the attached drawing, the dimensioning goes to the centre not the edge, with back lining the dimension would go to the edge.
This would be on the top of my wish list !!
line thickness.jpg
Ben Cohen
Mac and PC
Archicad (Latest Version) aus
www.4DLibrary.com.au
Anonymous
Not applicable
Just got back from Hols!

Ben Cohen hit the nail on the head with my query. I've attached screen capture from MicroGDS, hopefully it will be readable.

Dave
Anonymous
Not applicable
PS Please note square edges to thick lines
Ben Cohen
Enthusiast
Yes back-lining is the reason hand drawn plans have so much more style. I would love to see it implemented in archicad but judging from the poll, no one seems to care
Ben Cohen
Mac and PC
Archicad (Latest Version) aus
www.4DLibrary.com.au
aahatimo
Newcomer
Geoff wrote:
May I add my line improvement wish. That dashes share a common origin so superimposed dashed lines of the same type look like a single dashed line instead of a longer dash or solid line.

geoff,
i just read a tip posted on archiguide relating to this wish.
http://www.graphisoft.com/support/archicad/archiguide/roofedgelines.html
i agree it should not require a work around.
tim hanagan
aaha! design studio durango, co
27" retina 5k iMac 4ghz i7 os 10.13.6 m395x 4 mb, 32gb ram, 512 gb ssd ac 22 current
15" retina mbp 2.6ghz 1mb 16gb ac 22 current[/size]
Anonymous
Not applicable
How about adding snappable hotspots to line types. That would be so cool.