BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

I wish manufacturers would have .ifc files not .rvt files

Gus
Newcomer
If there is any way to get manufacturers to place .ifc files rather than .rvt files on their websites for download that would be a great improvement. It would also be nice if there were a way to convert .rvt files to .ifc files as a second option.
www.michaelgustavson.com Architect NY WI IL
Madison WI
Archicad21 MEP EcoDesSTAR Win10-64-bit
EliteBook8570W Corei7-3630QM@2.40GHz
QuadroK2000m RAM32 (2)250GBSSDs
4 Monitors Internet:4Up60Down
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable
We like Revit or not it is more widely used than ARCHICAD.
If you are a manufacturer and investing money into object development you are checking your possibilities:
-My area is an Autodesk software user area
-I have money to one kind of object development
-I want to point the widest possible target group for my money.
What will be your choice?

Other problem is that ifc is a 3d model with some additional data. Lets say in ifc file you have a cube. You can say it is an object or beam or slab, roof, whatever with just changing one parameter. But it is not parametric.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I think that if Graphisoft will make an easy way to make parametric objects that any user can do them, this will make the creation of content for manufacturers a lot easier because, by being easier then, it will be cheaper, faster, there will be more people involved working with this, freelancers and small companies working with manufacturers doing their products in gsm format.

I think that Graphisoft instead of updating the library every version of Archicad (but without stop doing it), they should focus on deliver an easy way to create parametric content for Archicad, this will ignite the content creation and sharing in the users. This is what Autodesk have done with Revit. Revit has the worst and poorest library ever in the BIM world (at least for architects and designers) and the parameters of the families are limited compared to the library parts of AC, but they deliver an easy (or at least easier) way to create content and they let the users create the content (yes, and Autodesk take the credit at the end for having a program with a lot of content).
Anonymous
Not applicable
arqrivas wrote:
I think that Graphisoft instead of updating the library every version of Archicad (but without stop doing it), they should focus on deliver an easy way to create parametric content for Archicad, this will ignite the content creation and sharing in the users.
It is done already
http://www.graphisoft.com/downloads/UK/library-part-maker.html

However if something is easier it means you have to cut a lots of things that requires programming such as loops, if statements ect.
What your vision is projecting is something like in Revit. It is very easy to use but extremely limited compared to GDL
Anonymous
Not applicable
daninet wrote:
However if something is easier it means you have to cut a lots of things that requires programming such as loops, if statements ect.
What your vision is projecting is something like in Revit. It is very easy to use but extremely limited compared to GDL
True, I find Revit Families very limited compared to AC library objects, but in the other hand it does not necessarily needs to be 100% true, they could find a way to make things a little easier for some things, and add levels of difficulties depending on what you want to do, and I mean something like and easy, intermediate and expert interface. Because even with the limitation Revit has when doing a family, with little training you can do some nice and useful objects to use in your project with enough parameter and data.

Anyway, I didn't knew of the part maker for AC20, I tried the older one to do windows and doors only in AC19. Good!!!
Learn and get certified!