BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Improved Layer System

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello everyone, after working on a few mid size, but very complex projects, I feel the need of having some more power in the layers in general.
Because I did not wanted to make a wish for each one I rather put this as one wish of improving the layers. Here are some of the improvements I wish:
1- When setting priorities number, you have to go and change it in each of the layer combinations. I think the priority number should be set the same for each layer combination, I have never need it to be different in the layer combinations.(I don't say someone else does). It would be good if we can set the number in the same dialog where we first name the layer when create it and make it the same for all layers combination, and only if needed you can change it later in a specific layer combination.

2- Adding the option of "no plot" to a layer. In my workflow I have two sections that are for working and I move them around the model, and sometimes I forget to move them out of the model to print or publish, and I have to re print or re publish again. And sometimes I have some annotations in the model that are only for me as a reminder of things I have to do, but I don't want to print those annotations, so I have to do a new layer for them, but in order to see them I need to go to a working layers combination or, again, I have to move them out of the way when printing or publishing.

3- Would like to set layers for specific tools only, for example the layer, Wall Exterior, will be available only for the wall, shell and Morph tool. This will shorten the pop up list of layers a lot and make things easier and simpler to work.(And I know how to short the pop up layer list by locking layers). Imaging that you are annotating your project and you choose the text tool or dimension tool, and when chosing a layer you will only see layers assigned for annotations instead of the long list.

4- A dock-able Layer palette that could work together with the quick layer palette, with the option of updating layer combinations, turning layers off and on, etc.

I think these improvements can speed up our everyday work. This are just my ideas, but it can be better.
12 REPLIES 12
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
arqrivas wrote:
1- When setting priorities number, you have to go and change it in each of the layer combinations. I think the priority number should be set the same for each layer combination, I have never need it to be different in the layer combinations.(I don't say someone else does). It would be good if we can set the number in the same dialog where we first name the layer when create it and make it the same for all layers combination, and only if needed you can change it later in a specific layer combination.
Yes, I agree with this wish, this can be very cumbersome if one has dozens of Layer Combinations and the state of a Layer needs to be changed in all Layer Combinations (e.g. when creating a new Layer).
2- Adding the option of "no plot" to a layer. In my workflow I have two sections that are for working and I move them around the model, and sometimes I forget to move them out of the model to print or publish, and I have to re print or re publish again. And sometimes I have some annotations in the model that are only for me as a reminder of things I have to do, but I don't want to print those annotations, so I have to do a new layer for them, but in order to see them I need to go to a working layers combination or, again, I have to move them out of the way when printing or publishing.
I do not agree with this wish. I think you just have to save the exact Views you want as output and always publish them. In the Views the desired Layer Combinations will be saved so Layers you don't want visible will be hidden in those Views.
3- Would like to set layers for specific tools only, for example the layer, Wall Exterior, will be available only for the wall, shell and Morph tool. This will shorten the pop up list of layers a lot and make things easier and simpler to work.(And I know how to short the pop up layer list by locking layers). Imaging that you are annotating your project and you choose the text tool or dimension tool, and when chosing a layer you will only see layers assigned for annotations instead of the long list.
I don't agree with this wish either. It seems to me it would complicate thing quite a bit. Then people wouldn't know why Layers are not available for them. Also, in ARCHICAD many times one uses various Tools to do various things so it is not always obvious what a Tool should be used for and hence, what Layer it should go.
I think if you set up your Favorites correctly, you don't have to switch Layers often.
4- A dock-able Layer palette that could work together with the quick layer palette, with the option of updating layer combinations, turning layers off and on, etc.
I agree, this would be a good addition and would speed up our workflow.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
1 and 4, essential.

2 I do not need, got this tackled with layer system and layercombo's and clever naming of our 'working' combinations (just add a minus or exclamation mark or the like to the name to bump it to the top of lists). That is we just have layers that are not on printing layercombinations, only on working layercombinations.

3 is probably local problem, NL layernaming standard isn't very bloated.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks, for your answers Guys.
I don't agree with this wish either. It seems to me it would complicate thing quite a bit. Then people wouldn't know why Layers are not available for them. Also, in ARCHICAD many times one uses various Tools to do various things so it is not always obvious what a Tool should be used for and hence, what Layer it should go.
I think if you set up your Favorites correctly, you don't have to switch Layers often.
Probably I did not explain well, but I mean that the user can set this personally in their template and change it whenever they want. The idea is not that if you are going to do a bench with a profiled wall that you have to go and permit the furniture layer to be used with the wall tool, but that if I'm using the dimension tool I will only see the annotations layers. We will begin with all layer open to all tools and you will lock only the ones you want. Even though I'm agree that probably setting up good favorites this wish could disappear. Let's see if with the new improved favorites of AC20 I'll be more motivated to use it more and make my workflow more favorites-centric.

Anyway, I'll reconsider 2 and 3 from what you have said. Let me work it out. Thanks again.
DGSketcher
Legend
A no plot layer could be useful and is something present over at the dark side.

My biggest issue is managing the extensive layers present in the UKI template which leads me to wish for a means of having a master layer and sub-layers so I can turn off say all walls with one click or individual wall types if necessary, and if I don't need them the sub layers can be hidden much like expanding / collapsing a computer file directory.
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
You might take a look at www.simpleaddon.com. While it doesn't address everything, it does take some of the annoyance out of layer control. And only USD $10!
Richard
--------------------------
Richard Morrison, Architect-Interior Designer
AC26 (since AC6.0), Win10
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yeah, I have simpleaddon, and they are very helpful, but as you said, the layer palette does not address everything. Is missing somethings.
Anonymous
Not applicable
1: essential, but sometimes need to switch off. E.g. different construction stages ot avoid intersections. In 97 % of all cases I have to change Layer combinations identically.

2: I understand it, but I do not need it.

3: very interesting from my point of view, but needs a lot of discipline. I’m very disciplined, but see top 4!

4: essential. I like to work with layers and
@laszlonagy: I have to work for dozens of different clients (sometimes only once or twice) with different whishes for layout definitions, line weight definitions and layer definitions …. I can’t handle all this by favorites. It is to much effort even for such a disciplined one like me . Underground 2D-drawings, conceptual studies, authorization engineering, detail eng. …
So an easy layer handling is very important and I must say: I miss it.
Best regards
Mario
Anonymous
Not applicable
We need a "hierarchical layers manager", where a layer can be the parent or the child of an other layer, like what exists on a lot of others software...like sketch up or illustrator..

The best exemple i have to explain why, is the import in my archiCAD project of the topographic plan of the geometer ... i need to keep all the layers of the geometer, cause sometime i need to hide the contour line, and after i need to show only the altitude, and after i hide the sewer network... all the time i need to hide or show one of the layers... so i add 20 layers to my archicad project... their is enought layers with my own projects, and it's really hard to find a layer to hide when you have 50 layers... so it would help if layers could be hierarchical, with one folder for the geometer plan, one folder with my project model, that could have one sub folder for the ground and the vegetation, one sub-folder for tha wall and the roofs, one subfolder for the interior design, etc...
Eduardo Rolon
Jevrod wrote:
We need a "hierarchical layers manager", where a layer can be the parent or the child of an other layer, like what exists on a lot of others software...like sketch up or illustrator..

The best exemple i have to explain why, is the import in my archiCAD project of the topographic plan of the geometer ... i need to keep all the layers of the geometer, cause sometime i need to hide the contour line, and after i need to show only the altitude, and after i hide the sewer network... all the time i need to hide or show one of the layers... so i add 20 layers to my archicad project... their is enought layers with my own projects, and it's really hard to find a layer to hide when you have 50 layers... so it would help if layers could be hierarchical, with one folder for the geometer plan, one folder with my project model, that could have one sub folder for the ground and the vegetation, one sub-folder for tha wall and the roofs, one subfolder for the interior design, etc...
What you want to do with your example can already be done in AC without adding all those layers. Instead of importing the DWG use the drawing tool to place it. When you do that you can use the drawing settings to turn on and off layers as you need. If you want different "permanent" layers on then you can create a worksheet for each combination placing copies of the drawing on each with their particular layers on.
This is not saying that the wish is wrong just that for your example there exists old workarounds.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Learn and get certified!