BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Layers in AC10 Layout Book

Anonymous
Not applicable
WISH: The project Layout Book should have it's own layer settings (set/controlled within the 'settings' window for each layout, as it is an independent "space" with quite different (much simpler) layering requirements

WHY?
In previous versions of plotmaker, I used a few simple layer combinations to control titleblock items, such as "ISSUED FOR..." stamp, north point on/off etc.
Because the lbk was a separate file, the layer combination remianed 'on' until I changed it.

Now in v.10, it seems that layouts do not remember/retain layer settings combinations, but instead change to what was is active in the last-selected viewset.

This means I have to constantly remember to turn on my layout combination before printing!! Something i'm not used to, and has wasted a bit of paper so far...
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable
I am voting essential, but would like to add that layer settings (combos) should be able to be controlled from the sub-set settings such that all layouts can either take on the layer settings from the subset or be defined by there own layer settings (similar to sheet numbering). I think you will find that the layout environment will keep its last set layer combination and is un-related to the drawing environment. I had the same issue as you, but perhaps this was addressed in some of the updates. I am however all over subsets and layers being tied to a layer combination.
Geoff Briggs
Mentor
I think the reason Graphisoft did not create a more refined or separate system for layout layers is because they want to include that in a more comprehensive layer management reform. I'm sure you'll agree that there are many other layer enhancements that would be very welcome. Among the most requested are the ability to keep layers from referenced or merged files separate and (related) organization by folders or subsets. Another is the ability to merge layers.

In the mean time my workaround is to name the layout layers such that they sort at the top of the list. I enable the Hide Locked Layers in Pop-Up Palettes preference (Work Environment-->Dialog Boxes and Palettes). Then for all my layout layer combinations I lock all the other layers and visa versa. That way when I'm working in the layouts I see only a short list of layers like in PlotMaker.
Layers.png
Regards,
Geoff Briggs
I & I Design, Seattle, USA
AC7-27, M1 Mac, OS 14.x
Anonymous
Not applicable
I agree that something needs to be done urgently about layers in layouts. It is not acceptable to find that text etc. does not appear on the finished drawing, because the layout was accidentally published without the layer being visible. This is potentially dangerous.

I don't currently try any clever tricks in my layouts, I try to make sure that all text etc. is on the ArchiCAD layer, but this does not always happen as the tools will continue to use the layers set in project (model) view.

I think that layers in layouts is currently a rather un-thought-out result of implementing layouts within the project.

I think that some proper consideration needs to be given to this fairly urgently by Graphisoft, taking into account how users use layouts.

For example, do you use a single master with different layers for planning, construction, schedules etc. Or do you create one master for each. My guess is that the Layout needs to have its layers saved with it, just as a view in the project map.
Learn and get certified!