Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Level dimensions in plan to top of walls

raoultittel
Participant
I want level dimensions to top of walls, as this is common practice for drafting where I work.

Is this at all possible in Archicad at the moment?

Cheers,

Raoul
Archicad 24 PC Windows 10 Pro

x64 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700K CPU @ 3.70GHz, 3696 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s) 32gb RAM Nvidia Quadro P1000
6 REPLIES 6
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
No, it is not possible at the moment. It works only for Slabs, Roofs, Shells and Meshes.
It would be great if it worked for all element types, including Walls, Columns and GDL-based element types.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
raoultittel
Participant
Thanks laszlonagy

x64 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700K CPU @ 3.70GHz, 3696 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s) 32gb RAM Nvidia Quadro P1000
Da3dalus
Enthusiast
I'd like to add that a lot of improvements could be made to the Level Dimension Tool, which hasn't changed since 1995. I like the wall idea, and I'd LOVE to use it for ceiling elevations. You would just have to add a radio button that pins the dimension to the BOTTOM of a slab/roof/shell rather than TOP.

Alternately, it could be dependent on the Reference Line/Plane of the slab, which can be adjusted on a slab-by-slab basis (you could even dimension to center or face of core).

And no, I do not like the Ceiling Slab Elevation Label. The "target" marker cannot be resized below the text size so it's HUGE. It's just ugly. Also, I'm still bitter that the Dimension Label 18 could once be used for this, and we had even changed our graphic standards to use an ellipse... and then the feature went away!

The Level Dimension would be perfect for this!
Chuck Kottka
Orcutt Winslow
Phoenix, Arizona, USA

ArchiCAD 25 (since 4.5)
Macbook Pro 15" Touchbar OSX 10.15 Core i7 2.9GHz/16GB RAM/Radeon Pro560 4GB
raoultittel
Participant
Level Dimension Tool, which hasn't changed since 1995.
Most of the interface in Archicad hasn't changed since 1995.

I do use a PC though.

Paul King
Advisor
Da3dalus wrote:
I'd like to add that a lot of improvements could be made to the Level Dimension Tool, which hasn't changed since 1995. I like the wall idea, and I'd LOVE to use it for ceiling elevations. You would just have to add a radio button that pins the dimension to the BOTTOM of a slab/roof/shell rather than TOP.

Alternately, it could be dependent on the Reference Line/Plane of the slab, which can be adjusted on a slab-by-slab basis (you could even dimension to center or face of core).

And no, I do not like the Ceiling Slab Elevation Label. The "target" marker cannot be resized below the text size so it's HUGE. It's just ugly. Also, I'm still bitter that the Dimension Label 18 could once be used for this, and we had even changed our graphic standards to use an ellipse... and then the feature went away!

The Level Dimension would be perfect for this!
+1
PAUL KING | https://www.prime.net.nz
ArchiCAD 8-27 | Twinmotion 2023
Windoze 11 PC | Intel Core i9 10900K | Nvidia Gforce RTX 3080 | 32 Gb DDR3 | 2x4K monitor extended desktop
It's worth pointing out that the Elevation Label 21 (or 20) will give wall top and/or bottom elevations, but not a lot of control over the appearance. May be useful, nonetheless.

P.S. You can also use the "Generic Label" for this, too, but more work.
Richard
--------------------------
Richard Morrison, Architect-Interior Designer
AC26 (since AC6.0), Win10