BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Library management functions available while using libraries

Paul King
Advisor
I want to be able to perform library management operations on the fly as I browse through loaded libraries - the same way I can perform file management operations on the fly in a directory listing of files.

As users, we have come to assume this sort of functionality in most applications, and it is somewhat jarring and counter intuitive (and annoying!) that it is not possible within ArchiCAD loaded libraries.

Almost always it is not until you are actually browsing through loaded libraries while looking for a particular object that you spot obsolete objects, or objects in the wrong sub folder, or that really should be renamed for consistency etc

It is just too inconvenient to have to note each object that needs moving or deleting or renaming, then quiting ArchiCAD, locating again each of those same objects in the various hard drive directories & performing those needed operations, before loading again, only to find you missed something.

Similarly, there should be undo functionality with library management operations, and a trashcan for objects that can be accessed in case you were too vigorous with your spring cleaning.

There would need to be an optional "refresh cache" option to click after library management was done, to reload updated libraries - but refresh should not be forced after every operation, as user may need to look in several subfolders & back out again before completing changes

The same file manament type functionality should apply to ALL attributes - line types, materials, fills, composites etc - perhaps all via the very same interface.

This might facilitate a universal "resources" paradigm, allowing much more sophisticated management and transfer and updating of ALL resources between projects and modules within projects.
PAUL KING | https://www.prime.net.nz
ArchiCAD 8-27 | Twinmotion 2023
Windoze 11 PC | Intel Core i9 10900K | Nvidia Gforce RTX 3080 | 32 Gb DDR3 | 2x4K monitor extended desktop
3 REPLIES 3
TomWaltz
Participant
The last thing I want to do is accidentally move a file from one folder to another when I thought I was just loading it.

I think that was one of the worst ideas ever seen when I saw it in Windows. I have seen so many problems in my life from that it is ridiculous.
Tom Waltz
Paul King
Advisor
I suppose accidents like that do happen very occasionally to me as well, but
a confirmation y/n for each operation would hopefully address that sort of thing, perhaps associated with a warning that the object or attribute etc is in use if applicable - and with the undo feature if all else fails

Perhaps also with administrators permission to lock & unlock individual resource directories analogous to Teamwork access levels - e.g. leaving project specific resource/assets directories open to editing and management by project users, but leaving office wide resources locked.
PAUL KING | https://www.prime.net.nz
ArchiCAD 8-27 | Twinmotion 2023
Windoze 11 PC | Intel Core i9 10900K | Nvidia Gforce RTX 3080 | 32 Gb DDR3 | 2x4K monitor extended desktop
Anonymous
Not applicable
Or maybee a way to flag the objects when library is open and a shortcut to work with it all afterwords
Learn and get certified!