BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Material Priority List

Rve
Booster

Is there a list available with material priority? I am aware that this depends on the type of project but what is a good starting list? is there a template list available? Or does anybody like to share their priority list?

and wouldn’t it be better to have the material priority parameter set as a instance parameter instead of a Wall type parameter? 

7 REPLIES 7
Tinou
Enthusiast

Capture d’écran 2023-07-17 093007.jpgCapture d’écran 2023-07-17 093041.jpgCapture d’écran 2023-07-17 093106.jpgCapture d’écran 2023-07-17 093134.jpgCapture d’écran 2023-07-17 093200.jpg

Étienne - AC 24 - France
Barry Kelly

There is the default template that comes with Archicad.

You can view them all in the Building Material Settings dialogue as Tinou shows you.

Use the headings at the top to arrange them in order by ID, name, priority.

But you can set your template up to be exactly as you want it.

There is no right or wrong or specific building material priorities (strengths).

They are what you want them to be.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Lingwisyer
Guru

And depending on your building complexity you may need additional or be able to cull a few.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660
DGSketcher
Legend

@Rve wrote:

and wouldn’t it be better to have the material priority parameter set as a instance parameter instead of a Wall type parameter? 

No. The material strength should reflect the real world, it should be a single value that can be relied upon and changed easily at a single point. The prospect of trying to track down a material with a "by instance" value that was changed in one view without appreciating the impact on every other view where the element is visible would be a complete pain to manage.

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Tinou
Enthusiast

Basicly, my materials are grouped in categories that reflect the process of building : Massonery, carpentry, insulation... Each category recieves a 100 sequence of priority numbers. If once I change the priority of a material, I will moove inside it's category. (Example, if I exchange briks an concrete priority, it has no consequence with their relation to plasterboard.)

The priorities reflect the order of building corresponding of 95% of usual constructions. First materials belong to categories with higher priority. Finishings belong to those with lower ones.

Exceptions : Materials that usually go throug others, like metalic structures, structural wood, or technical pipes have the highest priorities. Natural site materials like sand, soil, vegetation, have lowest priorities.

I have also 6 types of specific voids, with different priorities, that are used to "delete" other intersected materials. For that purpose, it would be great if void material could be realy invisible in facades and sections like it is in perpectives!

Étienne - AC 24 - France

Dear Timou,

I don’t fully understand What you are writing. You say: ‘Each category recieves a 100 sequence of priority numbers. If once I change the priority of a material, I will move inside it's category.’ So you have 100 possibilities for one category. That I can understand but then you give an example which I don’t understand. Can you elaborate on this?

If my brick Wall (priority 800) does not need to cut my insulation (priority 700), how do you change this within your category?

Most of the time i have problems with cavities. Perhaps you can give an example with this ‘material’?

if a material does not 

Tinou
Enthusiast

Hi Rve,

May be it's not easy to understand me beacuse english is not my mother language, so I try to be clear, but sometimes I'm not. Sorry.

For the example yo give here (Insulation cutting a brick wall) I would first think of how it is made, so materials can be classified like this :

800 - 899 : Loadbearing massonery materials and their accessories, inclueding on 890 - 899 these some small insulation elements that are build at the same phase.

700 - 799 : Common insulation materials that are added to construction after the loadbearing structure is done.

More generally, If a material doesn't intersect the way I want, most of the time I create an other one, and sometimes in an other "category".

Étienne - AC 24 - France
Learn and get certified!