Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Mental Calculation Slow Downs

Anonymous
Not applicable
Fellow AC users before I make a request, I would like to ask how do you minimise the number of mental calculations when moving elements into position without an interactive temporary pop up dimension marker showing up when you click an element?

In simple terms most CAD programs have this method but we don't have it yet or will probably never get it either?

for example I have a room dividing wall with an AC interactive dimension showing 2735 and I want to move it to lets say 3020, In my head I go 3020 minus 2735 is 285 after my brain ticks over I drag the wall 285mm into place. There must be a better way to do this as it wastes allot of time for me when you can just click a temporary dimension and feed the 3020 value in???

What do you do?
36 REPLIES 36
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks, I have used the UPO in the corner then left click drag with the PP set to drag then drag the opening to the corner at the UPO then enter the value I want.

So I can set the TP from relative to absolute before dragging an element?

Thanks, I will test this out and if I have any problems I will let you know.

In that Video, I am sure that 600 was entered into the TP then -1150 showed up in the TP since the corner of the window was at -1750 then entering +600 = -1150 to where the window and door were dragged.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
mthd wrote:
In that Video, I am sure that 600 was entered into the TP then -1150 showed up in the TP since the corner of the window was at -1750 then entering +600 = -1150 to where the window and door were dragged.
"1750", "600-" and "1150", respectively.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the Tip on setting the TP to absolute with the UO in the corner, that works.

I still have to set a UO at every point or corner while editing elements in AC18.

Why can't we have the TP set to a mode when creating or editing elements that will allow us to automatically have "Reference Points" like wall corners or opening corners or even element center points that show up with distances to them? Then we add a positve value or distance from one of those points like the nearest corner of an existing element for placing and editing elements.

I think a method like this would be faster than Revit, Chief Architect, SketchUp and other CAD software because it gives us an easy way for the first and accurate placement of elements along with the other tools we have. Lots of these CAD softwares allow for random placement of elements and then they are accurately placed after the temp reference dimension from nearest corner comes up.

If our TP could do this it could gives us a few options on where to place or move an existing element along a wall that is parallel with an element like an opening. For example distance to closest corner in the x direction and distance to closest corner in the -x direction and same for the y and z axis.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
OK, I think we have discussed this topic at great length so everyone reading this will have enough information to decide whether to support this wish or not.
Anonymous
Not applicable
In AC 19, can I get absolute values or distances in the TP to reference points and lines right now or only with the UO?

This problem is close to being solved right now in AC 19 or if in your opinion it is not then at least the scaffolding is in place for further tweaking in the software language.

The next step to speeding up, is doing the job faster again with touch screen inputs.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
In AC 19, can I get absolute values or distances in the TP to reference points and lines right now or only with the UO?
No, distances are always measured as absolute distances (relative to the User Origin) or relative distances (relative to the Edit Origin). They cannot be set to be measured relative to Snap Reference Points (unless you place the User Origin to a point marked as Snap Reference).
Anonymous
Not applicable
OK I still have to do mental calculations in AC19 I will get over it

Still looking?

Browse more topics

Back to forum

See latest solutions

Accepted solutions

Start a new discussion!