BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Mesh Thickness

Anonymous
Not applicable
I would love the ability to draw a mesh polygon and give it an extrusion thickness that wouldn't be tied to the ground. For instance, if I wanted to use a mesh for a series of complex triangles for a wall, and then give it all a solid thickness that was perpendicular to the normal for the polygon. This would allow me to have those wall panels have a constant thickness that would update whenever i changed the position of a node in the model.
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ah...nevermind...I realize you must make both meshes solid for it to work. Nifty little workaround there.
Anonymous
Not applicable
aggie463 wrote:
Funny this discussion would be going on now as this is exactly the main issue in a project I am working on. I like the idea of the SEO method enough, but I must be doing something wrong, as when select the thickened mesh as target and copied thin mesh as operator then subtrction with downwards extrusion then execute, nothing happens, however, doing the same thing with ANY other element works fine. Ive tried slabs, walls, etc all of which will work but not the mesh...is there a step im missing?
My guess is that you can't use a "paper thin" mesh for this. After all, that isn't a solid, which I believe are required for Solid Element Operations. I could be wrong, but I think that's it.
Rob
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
After all, that isn't a solid, which I believe are required for Solid Element Operations.
yep, that's exactly right...
::rk
Anonymous
Not applicable
Bump

Graphisoft, come on. 8 years on and I'm still wishing for a mesh thickness setting. Or another tool which does the same. Surely it's not that hard to provide this. Please!!
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Well, this wish will not be fulfilled in AC19.
But you can still use the Mesh to Roof Tool (which is a Goodie):

http://www.graphisoft.com/downloads/goodies/AC18/AUS.html
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Stuart Smith
Booster
Lack of this functionality is a huge hole in Archicad.

How are people modeling flatwork/site paving?

The duplicate mesh SEO trick is a terrible kludge. Really difficult to make changes, and too many SEOs bog down performance.
v26 3010 USA
MacOS 12.6
AC user since 8.1
Learn and get certified!