Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Object Converter between ArchiCAD updates.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Each time a new version of ArchiCAD is released i find all my current object have to be updated to work correctly in newer versions. It would be nice for ArchiCAD to build in a add-on that translates between objects. Ie parameters value 1 in old object is equal to parameter value 2 in new object. Although a well planned object can eliminate alot of this, it can not always be the case, particularly when the interface seems to react so differently to parameters between versions.

The guys at Cadimage already have a add-on for WindowDoorBuilder that does this. One-click and in converts all windows and doors format he old version into the new. Perhaps there is a opportunity here for them to sell this add-on to developers? However i think it would be better if ArchiCAD could look at this issue as an inbuilt feature, particularly because it will fix the problems of their own libraries.

The same feature can be used to convert ArchiCADs built in library from older versions into the newer ones. I find it so frustrating during the initial stages of changing between ArchiCAD versions as either the old and new ArchiCAD libraries have to be loaded or we have to painstakingly change them over manually. The add-on could be built in the conversion process.

A little left field to this, as i am discussing the conversion process from 9 to 10, I wonder why Graphisoft has created so many steps for us to convert a Version 9 file to version 10. Layout Book has to be opened in version 10, saved as a pln file. Then old Pln file has to to be opened in version 10 and merge in the layout book saved in previous step. Why not allow the plan file to simply merge a layout book into it without having to convert it first? I hope in future upgrades where major changes to the application occur this might better be though about to make things simpler.
4 REPLIES 4
Thomas Holm
Booster
Related issue:
http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=12832&highlight=
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Geoff Briggs
Mentor
While I sympathize with this wish—I am just now converting an AC9 project to 10 and having to replace a number of objects with their new & improved counterparts—it is an enormously complicated task. The Cadimage update add-on need only convert a couple objects. To do so across the entire library would require the add-on to know about every changed part and it's author(s) would need to make judgements in cases where new or significantly changed features exist in the newer versions of objects

I think a more realistic solution would be a more disciplined approach to object naming (or more sophisticated use of the GUID) combined with some automation in the creation of subset libraries. For instance, why rename an object if it is unchanged or has only seen bug fixes (no new or changed parameters)? Just let the new part be loaded as there will be no adverse consequences. In the case of modified objects the library manager should offer the option of 1) updating the objects with their new counterparts and produce a list (element schedule) of all instances that will then require checking, or 2) create an .lcf of the old parts that will then become a project specific subset of the now retired library. This effort should be combined with the unifying of the PLN, PLA and PLP file types.
Regards,
Geoff Briggs
I & I Design, Seattle, USA
AC7-27, M1 Mac, OS 14.x
Anonymous
Not applicable
"Geoff Briggs" wrote:
...To do so across the entire library would require the add-on to know about every changed part and it's author(s) would need to make judgements in cases where new or significantly changed features exist in the newer versions of objects...quote]

I think the 2 options you listed are good, but i think the intial idea could work too. It could work similar to how a dwg translator works. Developers could provide with their library parts a translator in xml format that simply lists which parameter changes to which. ArchiCAD wouild provide their own for the supplied library parts.

Although i do agree it could take some time to convert a entire project if the time Cadimage add-on is anything to go by. Perhaps a more efficient built-in converter could be more efficient.

Whatever the solution is the ultimate goal is to create a library parts that do not have to be renamed with the ArchiCAD version when they are essentially the same libary part.
Geoff Briggs
Mentor
Related to this, and something many of you may already know, AC 10's Element Schedules do not list the names of missing objects, doors, windows or lamps. The name field appears blank even though when selected the info box reports their name. Nor will the schedule list 2D objects placed in S/E windows (and I assume Detail windows as well). These bugs need to be fixed and a "Missing" criteria should be added to schedules and Find & Select.
Regards,
Geoff Briggs
I & I Design, Seattle, USA
AC7-27, M1 Mac, OS 14.x