Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Objects/ elements position stored in the View

yuryuymanov
Booster

When working on several variations of design or renovating it often necessary to retain objects (text, 2d graphical elements, constructions elements and library's objects) but move them to an another location.
Now it can be possible only by:

• creating copies of this objects and putting them to the new or another layers
  • creating a copy of the place being worked on, and moved it next to the first one
  • creating the new version of the project file

It seems to me that it would be much more in the BIM paradigm if it were possible to store position of the objects (on Plan, Model, Working Sheets, Details, Elevations, Sections, Model Documents) in the View.

In addition to the above, there is a problem of different scales and different types of plans, where zone passports, height marks, labels, dimensions, text - have to be duplicated in order to move, because if they don't overlap with anything, they can often be in an another Views. Only additional layers or renovation filters, can fix it.
Duplicating objects for the sake of their correct display is basically the wrong strategy because of the increased risk of errors

7 REPLIES 7

I just move them to a separate renovation filter, then I don't have to move the locations and can toggle back and forth to see the change

But you have to create a copies of them. And what about if I want to have them in one relevation filter, but in different variations of position? 

In addition to the above, there is a problem of different scales and different types of plans, where zone passports, height marks, labels, dimensions, text - have to be duplicated in order to move, because if they don't overlap with anything, they can often be in an another Views. Only additional layers or renovation filters, can fix it.
Duplicating objects for the sake of their correct display is basically the wrong strategy because of the increased risk of errors

I only make copies if something changes so then it would no longer be the same object anyway. But your thought would be cool. 

It would be nice to have options be easier, not that it's that hard anyway.

Maybe it's ultimately how ones uses or needs things to appear.

Now it is most in demand for annotations - sizes, zone stamps, text and labels. In a complex working drawings i have a lot of copies of identical annotation information elements, only because it necessary to be in slightly different places to avoid overlaps. For example, on Slab set out plan, level mark is in one place, but in Dimensioning Ground floor plan it must be moved to avoid overlapping on room name. And so on. A lot of the same issues. But in many ways the View logic is for different presentations of the same objects - graphical overrides, pens, renovation filters, so why the coordinates of any objects in 3d space and plan can't be stored in Views? In some other programs it is! In SketchUP there is a plugin to store Scale, Position and Orientation in a Scenes (exactly same to the View in Archicad). Someone says that it increasing the risk of errors in projects, but we can have this option disabled, like it works for Legacy intersections without Building materials priorities and Surface methods in Project preferences setup

This is interesting but complex especially for construction elements.

If we look at the BIM as a limited set of possible system states.

How do we handle change?

How do we handle an element that is repositioned?

How do we handle an element that is redefined?

When do identity hold?

I consider the current approach using renovation filters flawed as it requires two distinct elements to represent what is in the context and application of BIM actually the same element.

Instead I would like to see an approach where one defines different 'states' in which to model and between which an element can be repositioned and redefined without loosing its identity.

So a model could contain several states such as Past A1 | Past A2 | Current | Future A | Future B1 | Future B2 and each state could be linked to another thus defining its initial configuration.

Good idea! States for constructions elements, extension for Renovating filters, for an example. And View stored 2d annotations positions.