BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Offset Accessibility

Andy Thomson
Advisor
Can offsetting be made a tool that lives with the other, normal 'Edit' tools?

That would keep me from having to explain to every former autocad user that, yes, AC can offset, you just need to select the target element (or copy), push this button, space-bar, etc.
Andy Thomson, M.Arch, OAA, MRAIC
Director
Thomson Architecture, Inc.
Instructor/Lecturer, Toronto Metropolitan University Faculty of Engineering & Architectural Science
AC26/iMacPro/MPB Silicon M2Pro
11 REPLIES 11
__archiben
Booster
try pressing your 'o' button on the keyboard . . .

('offset' can be assigned a keyboard shortcut much like other commands . . . whether or not it should or shouldn't be in the edit menu is a question of personal taste i guess. nothing to stop you putting it there in the work environment is there?)

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Andy Thomson
Advisor
modifying workspace for myself is one thing, but for 30 others becomes unmanageable, especially since the xml file(s) is only read at time of installation.

This has been something I have heard often, that 'ArchiCad does not offset'. As an edit function, this would be more obvious...

A
Director
Instructor/Lecturer, Toronto Metropolitan University Faculty of Engineering & Architectural Science
__archiben
Booster
andyro wrote:
modifying workspace for myself is one thing, but for 30 others becomes unmanageable, especially since the xml file(s) is only read at time of installation.
it sounds like you should read through a copy of the 'creating an install package' PDF - you can define company work environments that will install in place of the default archiCAD ones . . .

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Andy Thomson
Advisor
we have done that but it cannot be modified without reinstalling, as far as i know. also, people tend to customize after some time, and they would have my head if their work environment was overwritten at regular intervals...

but this is a wee bit off topic...
Director
Anonymous
Not applicable
As someone who has used several Cad programs over the years, adding something like offset as mentioned into the edit functions is better than trying to customise set ups. It would also be easier for autocad users to move across, or as in my case, where i can be using both systems in the same day, swapping from one to the other would require less thinking about.
Rob
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
It would also be easier for autocad users to move across
That's right. We have actually experienced a lot of whinging about that from ACAD users moving to AC at our office. They've got completely confused by particulary offsetting - that magic wand thingy etc
::rk
Anonymous
Not applicable
offset is perfect like this.
archicad should not be changed for the autocad users
Anonymous
Not applicable
zucoc wrote:
offset is perfect like this.
archicad should not be changed for the autocad users
Which is fine if you do not want more autocad users to switch over... everyone in our office are ex autocad users, and great debate has been going on over the updating of software, we have stuck with archicad, but when we employ others, they again will most likely be ex autocad users... When it comes to upgrading the cad package again, it may be that the swing of votes will mean a change to autocad, rather than renew archicad.

I can not see why archicad can not retain both methods of using offset, just gives more flexability and user friendliness when swapping from one system to another.

I also thought the School of architecture "Ion Mincu" were supporters of autocad... or has that changed now?
Anonymous
Not applicable
at Ion Mincu there are:
30% archicad beginers
50% autocad beginers
10% autocad power users
1% archicad power users
9% hand drafters

and there are also 95% of the teachers that don t know how to hold a mouse.

still i believe that archicad shoud be oriented towards its users not autodesks wich by the way have their own bim software - revit. i don't think revit is going to adopt an "archicad style" just for capturing its users.
Learn and get certified!