Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

One key shortcut to temporarily disable cursor snaps

Anonymous
Not applicable
One key shortcut to temporarily disable cursor snaps
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable
Why?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Matthew wrote:
Why?
Because when your adding text, label, etc, you want them to be arranged correctly, but it's sometimes difficult to place a text where you want when the cursor is snapping to non needed references
Balazs Simonyi
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Geoffroy wrote:
Because when your adding text, label, etc, you want them to be arranged correctly, but it's sometimes difficult to place a text where you want when the cursor is snapping to non needed references
Added to wishlist.
__archiben
Booster
Geoffroy wrote:
if that's the only reason, i would say that it's more important to have basic 'align' commands built into archiCAD - check out orbit solutions align add-on. it's great! but we need it in archiCAD.

btw - does anybody know if they've released their align tool for archiCAD 9?

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Anonymous
Not applicable
In autocad you can specify to override all the other snap settings with one snap setting (eg end point only or none if you wanted) this can really help when you want to snap EXACTLY to the end of a particular line without having to place your cursor at the end of that line but somewhere on the relevant half of that line. It would really help if we could do this with large arcs instead of having to zoom out to find the centre point (a tedious and many times unsuccessful operation in AC).

So I agree with this wish, in part, with the expansion as noted above.

Cheers,

Roolio
Anonymous
Not applicable
~/archiben wrote:
btw - does anybody know if they've released their align tool for archiCAD 9?
I inquired a few weeks back and although I've deleted the email, the response I remember was: "there are no plans to update the code at this time". Perhaps that will change.

In the meantime, GS, PLEASE add align functionality within AC and PM.

I also find the object snaps to be a little annoying when I'm trying to tweak the locations of text/dimensions/etc to avoid other elements on a crowded plan.

Wes
Anonymous
Not applicable
Align - yes!
Cursor snap off - no! Autocad's way is much worse than Archicad's. I think AC should stick to the simple and easy way of working it has always offered. If you want to snap exactly to something , just zoom it!
Anonymous
Not applicable
I used a cad program that would allow you to specify what type of snap you are looking for based on a single key stroke. For example you could force a perpendicular, or tangent, or end-point, or mid-point etc. by pressing a single key. I found this useful when multiple potential snap points resided in close proximity to each other. I could imagine that in Archicad, this could expand to allow you to force snaps to certain types of elements. For example, when dimensioning, it would be nice to force snaps to only look for walls. I personally tire of having to zoom in to find the correct snap and zoom back out, and then zoom in again to assure I find the coerect snap point. I feel that snap management could definitely be improved in Archicad.
Anonymous
Not applicable
kliment wrote:
Align - yes!
Cursor snap off - no! Autocad's way is much worse than Archicad's. I think AC should stick to the simple and easy way of working it has always offered. If you want to snap exactly to something , just zoom it!
Just because Autocad is used as an example does not mean it has nothing to offer in this discussion. When it comes to basic 2d drafting it is way more accurate and easier to use than Archicad on top of the fact it uses similar snapping visual aids, but I digress.

I dont want to wast time zooming in and out to snap to an arc or what I think may be the centre of an arc (Or just the end point of a line where a lot of other end points for lines meet).

The idea behind snapping (or not snapping if you want) is that it makes it possible (and easy) to find an exact point, direction on an element in a drawing. If I don't feel confident that this is happening (and believe me when I am using Archicad I am not) then it slows all other processes down.

So, back to the item at hand. I think that the ability to turn off or select a particular kind of snap for one snap action is very important.

Thankyou,

Roolio