Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Palettes that snap into position

rm
Advisor
I don't think this request will really ad to productivity much, but it will add to an improve gui.

I can't speak to the Windows side of things, but in Mac based Adobe Photo Shop, and even Microsoft Office v.X, tool palettes snap, move and realign, as if there are "magnets" attached to the corners of their palettes.

In AC, occasionally for what ever reason, need to move palettes around, it would be nice to have them snap to each other like PS. I might not be describing it well, but anyone PS I think will know what I'm writing about.

Would anyone like to see GS incorporate this in a future version other than me?

RM
Robert Mariani
MARIANI design studio, PLLC
Architecture / Architectural Photography
www.robertmariani.com

Mac OSX 13.1
AC 24 / 25 / 26
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable
This is something I have always wanted. I would prefer something like the Adobe approach with palettes snapping to each other and the drawing windows. I don't much care for the MS Office style of moving the windows around automatically. It works OK for Word and Excel, but even there I am annoyed by Microsoft's assumption that they know better than I what I want to do.
rm
Advisor
Matthew wrote:
......I don't much care for the MS Office style of moving the windows around automatically. It works OK for Word and Excel, but even there I am annoyed by Microsoft's assumption that they know better than I what I want to do.
GOOD point!

RM
Robert Mariani
MARIANI design studio, PLLC
Architecture / Architectural Photography
www.robertmariani.com

Mac OSX 13.1
AC 24 / 25 / 26
__archiben
Booster
i am tending toward the macromedia palettes at the moment . . .

their palettes can be dragged and dropped into any configuration of 'master' palettes. once 'docked' to each other, those not required can be closed to minimise screen space whilst readily available when needed. i, too, would like to see the ability to put selections of palettes together customised to my way of working: but being able to have some of the lesser used palettes minimised and ready for action on a double click!

what i don't like about the macromedia palettes is that the content really doesn't lend itself to a floating palette. archiCAD on the other hand has an easily modularised palette content that could work very well if well planned and executed.

i did also download the new adobe illustrator CS try-out the other day and although i haven't used it much yet, it does seem as though the CS suite has improved palette control over older program versions. i can't seem to work out how to get my groups of palettes un-snapped from each other though - i'm still dragging each palette in a group out of the whole one by one and then reassembling them to form the original floating palette . . . and it took me a while to suss out that double clicking the active palette name would minimise the whole group . . .

i think that i'm a bit anal about my palette positions, so to feed that neurosis i am agreeing wholeheartedly with matthew: let ME control their positions, shapes and content and remember it from session to session. i don't want MS style palettes rearranging themselves in the hope that they are somehow contributing to my workflow.

i am just about handling the archiCAD tool dialogue settings resizing themselves (on a mac they jump - there is no preference to use "scroll effects for dialogue box..."), and as a consequence, the eye has to pause and readjust to where everything is now before carrying on. this is just about acceptable for a dialogue: attention is directed toward it by its nature: dialogue. but when working with the tool palettes, it is usually an automatic, quick, hand-eye movement aided by experience and last known position stored in the subconscious. if the tool palettes started resizing themselves to suit some internal logic to which i'm not a part, i for one would lose some efficiency in the way that i work.

a couple of months ago somebody demo'ed the autocad 2004 fly-out settings dialogue and it struck me that this would be a very good way of getting the info box off of my screen - having a combination of it and the tool settings dialogue fly out on 'roll-over' the tool. has anybody had any experience using this?

i think in general though, what we are talking about here is a little short-sighted. the development of the pet-palette is what's required! the words "user-centric" are going to describe the UIs of the future and it is to this that graphisoft should be aiming in the long term. unfortunately, i haven't followed this through yet - i'm not sure how and when this would work.

i feel that i have rambled on a bit here. sorry.

i would like to hear other peoples views on this: is everybody out there as neurotic as me with their palette positions? or do you just take it as it comes . . . ?

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Aussie John
Newcomer
I think more than dockable pallettes the whole thing need rethinking. (either that or I need a 30" monitor)

for a minimum start pallettes need max min buttons.
having to drag a corner of the info pallette to see all of the items is a major bore - especially when another tool then suddenly leaves blank space. The max button would need to reflect the number of items in the pallette

maybe a toggle key to hide/show favourite pallettes

or function keys for sets of favourite pallettes and locations
Cheers John
John Hyland : ARINA : www.arina.biz
User ver 4 to 12 - Jumped to v22 - so many options and settings!!!
OSX 10.15.6 [Catalina] : Archicad 22 : 15" MacBook Pro 2019
[/size]
Anonymous
Not applicable
I started this topic in another wish, but I guess I'll just join the crowd over here...
~/archiben wrote:
a couple of months ago somebody demo'ed the autocad 2004 fly-out settings dialogue and it struck me that this would be a very good way of getting the info box off of my screen - having a combination of it and the tool settings dialogue fly out on 'roll-over' the tool.
If I understand you correctly, this would be a WONDERFUL thing. I've seen some software that does this, and it truly is a great feature for those who value screen realestate. The way I noticed it is that the pallets are anchored to a side of the screen, and when the mouse touches that side of the screen, they pop out. This would in effect maximize the total work surface, which is somewhat suffering right now with the larger toolboxes. Come to think of it, Whindows has been doing this for some time with their "auto-hide taskbar" command.

Wow, I'm getting real excited about this since for some time now I've been wondering how to use my screen effectively. I think this might be the answer, especially now that cusotmized keyboard shortcuts can be used. Just imagine: you select a wall, bump the left edge of the screen and the wall settings dialog pops out, allowing you to make all neccessary changes, and then dissapears when you move off of it.

So how soon until this feature gets implemented?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Aussie wrote:
...for a minimum start pallettes need max min buttons.

docking, magnetic and hidden! ...easy access is crucial

I like the nav & nav preview buttons at the bottom of the screen...more palettes could be added there as well...
__archiben
Booster
Sergio wrote:
So how soon until this feature gets implemented?
hehehe! i would think that this would be a long way off yet! program palettes are a touchy issue: remember the adobe vs macromedia lawsuit over dockable palettes?

but until then i guess this is the right forum for wishful thinking!

have a good weekend all.
~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Anonymous
Not applicable
Aussie wrote:
I think more than dockable pallettes the whole thing need rethinking. (either that or I need a 30" monitor)
I agree that there are many subtle and not so subtle improvements that could be made. I do think that GS has done a creditable job of keeping it pretty clean overall. I think that perhaps the faults stand out by contrast to the generally high quality of the work.

BTW, the 23" Apple Cinema Display is really quite adequate (f___ing incredibly great is really more like it), especially with Exposé. I pity the poor Windows (only) users who don't have this incredible productivity (and totally cool) feature. Maybe in Longhorn, someday, I guess in late 2005 if it doesn't get delayed again.
for a minimum start pallettes need max min buttons.
having to drag a corner of the info pallette to see all of the items is a major bore - especially when another tool then suddenly leaves blank space. The max button would need to reflect the number of items in the pallette
The min/max idea sounds good, but how about having the info palette automatically expand to the size needed for the tool when you roll over it? (And maybe scroll automatically if the screen is too small.)

I like this idea. Especially the possibility of actually being able to use the function keys on the Mac. I presently simulate this with the Find & Select and Solid Element Operations palettes by assigning Command/Control + F and Command/Control + 0 (zero) respectively
Anonymous
Not applicable
I agree a toggle hot key, similar to Photoshop, to make the palettes dispear would be great.

In photoshop TAB makes all the palettes disapear and SHIFT-TAB makes the palettes and the toolbar go away.