BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Pen Set in the View Map options

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi there,

It would be nice if we could specify a pen set for a view in the view map options... What do you think?

Regards,

Braza
6 REPLIES 6
andrewzarb
Booster
Absolutely,
I think it should be in the quick options as well as define view set.
Here's one I prepared earlier
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
It was discussed here. Not sure I'm completely sold on it - I like the current logic.

Cheers,
Link.
andrewzarb
Booster
Link wrote:
It was discussed here. Not sure I'm completely sold on it - I like the current logic.

Cheers,
Link.
I know it was discussed in elsewhere but that thread was about 10 views Vs 9 Views and is not a poll.

I've had a good long hard think about this now.

You can modify drawings' scales in the layout view, therefore there's no reason why you could not over-ride the pen set by simply changing it as you do now.

Being able to save the pen sets with views or change them with quickviews could help some with their workflow without changing the current methodologies.

It's extra features not a change
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Andrew wrote:

I know it was discussed in elsewhere but that thread was about 10 views Vs 9 Views and is not a poll.

I've had a good long hard think about this now.

You can modify drawings' scales in the layout view, therefore there's no reason why you could not over-ride the pen set by simply changing it as you do now.

Being able to save the pen sets with views or change them with quickviews could help some with their workflow without changing the current methodologies.

It's extra features not a change
Gidday mate

I guess it depends on what you're used to and what you consider the current logic/methodologies to be. I'm one of those guys who always mapped their pens separately in Plotmaker 9, so continuing this in 10 is my current method.

IMHO there are just too many pensets by default. Most new users could get away with just two. One for modeling and one for publishing, where the publishing set is identical to the modeling set, except for a few standard pens that are mapped to black. More could be added from there, if needed.

That's a whole new kettle of fish though. I do agree that it could be added as a feature for some users, but still think it goes against the intended workflow and considering the big picture (of improvements to be made to ArchiCAD), I couldn't bring myself to poll more than a 'Not Important'.

Is that bad?

Cheers,
Link.
andrewzarb
Booster
Link wrote:
Is that bad?
Not at all
I suppose its a philosophical question, do you give everyone lots of flexibility, making the program more complex, or one way of doing things making it simpler?
I guess you can't take the Swiss out of me and I take the Swiss army knife approach; I know I don't use the fish scaler but it's nice to know it's there (on the knife).
As for my pens, I take the Karate Kid approch; Colours on, Colours off. Colours on, Colours off. But I would like to have a quick option to do it, Mr Miyagi.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you all for your inputs!
After Link's input I must say that he is right. The main purpose for the pen sets is to print/plot/publish... and it's more productive if we have just one particular view set and eventually change its pen sets in the drawing settings of the layout book. It prevents us to have lots of copies of a certain view set only differed by the pen set.
In the design process I think its not necessary to have a quick option for the pen sets because we rarely change it and creating an icon for the pen sets setting is sufficient.
Learn and get certified!