Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Publish by relative path

Anonymous
Not applicable
Maybe the subject to this wish should be something like "Ability To Set Root Directory" but i thought "Publish to relative path" was a more user friendly subject.

What i would like to do is to set the directory folder of the projects .pln as a root directory. So that i can direct my publish path relative to this root directive. This would also be able for other links, such as hotlinks, drawings, Xrefs etc.

With this feature one can move, or rename, a project map without the need to redirect the publish path or loosing other links/paths.

Does anybody els think this would be a good feature, or am i not thinking this through?
8 REPLIES 8
Emre Senoglu
Expert
Hey Hugo this definitely makes sense. Such a simple command that would make a huge difference in workflow. Would love to hear if there are any updates on this from Graphisoft's side.
AC26 ARM // MBP M2 Max // Twinmotion | Corona | Rhino

www.senoglu.dk

PVBergkrantz
Expert

I agree, this along with more options for relative paths for hotlinks and libraries would be a very nice feature.

| AC 25 Int | Win10 | i7-7800X | 32 GB | GeForce RTX 2060 6GB |

Erwin Edel
Rockstar

This would keep me from cursing at co-workers who like to rename project folders too!

Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
mikas
Expert

Yes, agreed. And everything should be possible to be relatively linked.

Working with cloud services with automatic sync would be like heaven if we had relative paths in use. No matter you were at home, on the road, at hotel or at the office. Everything would be seemlesly the same for you. And better yet, for everybody in the office. No need to hassle anymore with showing your libraries locations, and relinking publishing paths.

I work at home, at the office and on the road too. Every now and then there is a need to open somebody elses project. Now I need to show Archicad the libraries by hand and so on, not productive.

So please, it's a strong wish!

AC25, Rhino6/7+Grasshopper, TwinMotionMac Pro 6,1 E5-1650v2-3,5GHz/128GB/eGPU:6800XT/11.6.5 • HP Z4/Xeon W-2195/256GB/RX6800XT/W10ProWS

Exactly what prompted me to see if this was implemented yet or not!

| AC 25 Int | Win10 | i7-7800X | 32 GB | GeForce RTX 2060 6GB |

DGSketcher
Legend

+1 It gets a bit annoying after reusing a previous project to find all my published files in the old project folders as the path hasn't been updated.

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
mendezarcediego
Booster

How do we request this feature from Graphisoft? What's the best way to get their attention?

I agree, I run a small office and is such a pain in the butt not be able to set file paths to "root directory" or relative path or whatever you call it, we currently use the BIMcloud feature and DropBox and every time we have to publish we have to use only one computer, the one that has all the right file paths for publishing and reading files, if I try to publish from another computer I have to manually update all paths. 

AC26–5002 INT FULL/ Win 11 Pro 22621.1992 / Intel i9-13900KF 24C (8P-16E) 3.00 - 5.80 GHz / 64 GB 5600 MHz DDR5 / Nvidia RTX A4500 20GB, Dual 2560x1440.
Pato99
Enthusiast

I think I've emailed them numerous times over the years and added in forum requests here and there. Here's why I think this needs to be done now in v27 hotfix or at latest v28

1. Many office workflows are now cloud based or rapidly becoming that way. Take OneDrive for example, cloud folders are pinned to the usernames by default, so if your working on a team project, the publishing set will need to be changed for each user. But regardless if we're using OneDrive or another product, people don't always want to pin a cloud folder to C: Drive

2. Process automation, we are using automation to copy the template files and handle a lot of the early grunt work, updating spreadsheets and xml files with data collected from forms and OCR. ArchiCAD needs to be able to reference external sheets/xml and output to relative paths before the job is even opened by a human. That means a template needs to be prepped before it's even started. 

I think GS tends to look at ArchiCAD from the eyes of Commercial 1-5 projects per year, but we're producing hundreds of homes, (1 to 5 per day) the repeat time that could be saved is valuable to us.

Versions 10 to 27
Metabox Prime-X P775DM2-G (Clevo),
GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5 VRAM - G-Sync,
i7-6700K (8M Cache up to 4.2 GHz),
32GB DDR4 2133MHZ,
512GB SATA 3 M.2 SSD,
Win 11 64