BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Railing Wall tool - Railing tool

Anonymous
Not applicable
ArchiCAD needs to have a "Railing Wall Tool"
The current system is horrible, railings nowadays are complex and simple at the same time and should behave like walls do.
By the way, ArchiCAD needs to recognize that railings exists outside stairs too!!

Railings are used for many other structures, not just stairs!!!

Railings should be drawn up like walls, edit height, edit railing styles, even solid railings, should follow the terrain, stairs, floors, etc.

Railings should not be just an object from the library that one copies over and over to achieve offsets, turns, etc.

I am not asking for workarounds or opinions or your comments. This post is meant for ArchiCAD Graphisoft.

We are paying top dollar for this program!! Make it work like it is meant to!!

Stairs, Ramps, Decks, Landings, Porches, Patios, Balconies, Parapets, Guard Rails, Security Rails, Fences, just to mention some cases where railings are needed.

If these where drawn up as walls instead of individual objects, groups, etc, it would be faster, efficient, productive.

These railing walls should have all the features of "railings" styles, types, newels, posts, balusters, vertical, horizontal, and should also be intelligent enough to follow the surface inclination "angle" they are being drawn up over.

It would eliminate the ultra tedious work of the current single object oriented railing in the library.

One could create "Railing wall styles" just like we can create "Wall types" and save them for future use of per project.

In a single commercial project, the amount of different railings can overwhelm the designer, draftsperson modeling, copying, making favorites, layering, etc.
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable
I agree, a guardrail / railing / handrail tool would be a fantastic add especially when a new stair tool comes out.

I use the 3DMD Railing for now and complex profiles.
http://www.3dmediadesign.it/
xacto wrote:
ArchiCAD needs to have a "Railing Wall Tool"
The current system is horrible, railings nowadays are complex and simple at the same time and should behave like walls do.
By the way, ArchiCAD needs to recognize that railings exists outside stairs too!!

Railings are used for many other structures, not just stairs!!!

Railings should be drawn up like walls, edit height, edit railing styles, even solid railings, should follow the terrain, stairs, floors, etc.

Railings should not be just an object from the library that one copies over and over to achieve offsets, turns, etc.

I am not asking for workarounds or opinions or your comments. This post is meant for ArchiCAD Graphisoft.

We are paying top dollar for this program!! Make it work like it is meant to!!

Stairs, Ramps, Decks, Landings, Porches, Patios, Balconies, Parapets, Guard Rails, Security Rails, Fences, just to mention some cases where railings are needed.

If these where drawn up as walls instead of individual objects, groups, etc, it would be faster, efficient, productive.

These railing walls should have all the features of "railings" styles, types, newels, posts, balusters, vertical, horizontal, and should also be intelligent enough to follow the surface inclination "angle" they are being drawn up over.

It would eliminate the ultra tedious work of the current single object oriented railing in the library.

One could create "Railing wall styles" just like we can create "Wall types" and save them for future use of per project.

In a single commercial project, the amount of different railings can overwhelm the designer, draftsperson modeling, copying, making favorites, layering, etc.
Gerald Hoffman
Booster
Absolutely. This really is a no brainer and one area that ArchiCad has been deficient for a long time if we include the Stair Tool.
Gerald
"The simplification of anything is always sensational" GKC
AC 25-4013 USA, CadImage Tools
2019 MacBook Pro 16" w/ AMD Radeon Pro 5600M GPU
OS X 11.6
2.4 Ghz 8 core i9, 64 GB RAM
27" LG 5K Monitor
Anonymous
Not applicable
Absolutely. Nearly every building has a railing / fence, some of them are quite complex. Without a tool for those AC is not helping users and itself.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Cadimage's Stair Tool has an independent railing option too. I know it costs money, but might be worth a look.
Cadimage wrote:
With Cadimage Stairs, you have access to a range of individual components that allow for highly flexible stair configurations for both residential and commercial designs.

Railings can be associated with stairs, slabs or even stand-alone, so that stairs can easily wind at varied widths and heights and open on to landings. Stair assemblies can be edited, labelled and output as if they were a single object.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I found them in Archicad 20 under 'Object Tool' -> '1. Basic Library' -> '1.4 Building Structures' -> 'Fences and Railings'
Anonymous
Not applicable
Have you seen the Profile Builder plugin for Sketchup? It can basically create any composite structure including railings. Archicad Complex Profile tool needs to behave like this. It should be able handle arrays of sub-objects and materials.

I have posted a wish similar to yours but based on Complex Profiles. What do you think? I also believe this would a very important upgrade.
Barry Kelly
Your wish has been granted in version 21.

http://www.graphisoft.com/archicad/

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes, it seems the wish has been granted

I wonder if it can be used for other creative purposes. Maybe generating wall frames and claddings? If it has angle parameters maybe even for roof structures.
Eduardo Rolon
Yes it can and it is linked to the mesh, wall, slab that it is placed so that if it changes then it updates.
Roofs I am not sure.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Learn and get certified!