BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Renovation and alteration work

Paul King
Advisor
Even as a long time ArchiCAD user, I have mostly given up on BIM for most alteration work - it is logistically just too hard with the workarounds required to document new vs. existing work. So much faster just to draw in 2D sadly.

What would help is the ability for new & existing walls, windows & doors to coexist more intelligently - automatically showing in elevation for example, dotted lines where a window has been removed, and shading in new / patched areas (same for plans & sections & 3D)

If ArchiCAD could interrogate the differences between two models occupying the same space, and establish the differences between them & graphically present those differences intelligently (with much user customisation) in all views, ArchiCAD would make so much more sense for small alteration projects.

Currently so much non-intuitive trial & error & manual fudging is required to maintain a BIM verion of both new & existing buildings, and then having to manually doctor most views to show the changes (and every change to the changes) that there is really very little pay-off in using BIM on the tiny fees earned.

Probably the majority of Architects out there make a meagre living doing exactly these projects, so Graphisoft would have a huge hit on it's hands if it could deliver the first BIM package that actually paid off for this kind of work!
PAUL KING | https://www.prime.net.nz
ArchiCAD 8-27 | Twinmotion 2023
Windoze 11 PC | Intel Core i9 10900K | Nvidia Gforce RTX 3080 | 32 Gb DDR3 | 2x4K monitor extended desktop
10 REPLIES 10
KeesW
Advocate
It is now morning and I am awake. The book I referred to is Framework and I have found it extremely useful. The technique is to create a locked 2D version of the existing floor plan, on a different layer, using dashed lines, under the normal existing model plan. When existing walls are removed, the dashed lines are revealed, thus creating a demolition plan.
Cornelis (Kees) Wegman

cornelis wegman architects
AC 5 - 26 Dell XPS 8940 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD 2TB HD RTX 3070 GPU
Laptop: AC 24 - 26 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD RTX 3070 GPU
Learn and get certified!