BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

!Restored: Save as Artlantis 4.5 from ArchiCAD10

andrewzarb
Booster
Is there a good reason why users who are happy with Artlantis 4.5 HAVE to upgrade to Artlantis R when they upgrade to ArchiCAD 10?

And users who want to do animations or QuicktimeVR HAVE to upgrade to Artlantis Studio?

Why has ArchiCAD 10 made Artlantis 4.5 obsolete?

Who writes the export add-on, is it Abvent or Graphisoft?

Who is responsible?

Can we please have a save as artlantis 4.5 option?
7 REPLIES 7
Dwight
Newcomer
I know that if ArchiCAD and Artlantis where mine, I wouldn't invest the time in making an export to Artlantis 4.5 in view of the phenomenal advances in the Artlantis product.

Is it possible to save an ArchiCAD 10 file back to ArchiCAD 9 and export to Artlantis 4.5 from there?
Dwight Atkinson
andrewzarb
Booster
Of course it's possible, unless you,ve used slanted walls, slanted columns, beams which are pitched, openings in polygonal walls... what else is new in ten?

The advances in artlantis are great but not a an issue to whether ArchiCAD CAN save to 4.5 which it should considering that it can save to so many other formats.

The question is whether Abvent or Graphisoft indipendently or colaboratively have decided not to support 4.5, which obviously only helps Abvent and could be seen as a dirty trade practice.
You can still save to 3ds and open 3ds in Artlantis 4.5

Best Regards,
Piotr
Anonymous
Not applicable
andrewzarb wrote:
Of course it's possible, unless you,ve used slanted walls, slanted columns, beams which are pitched, openings in polygonal walls... what else is new in ten?

The advances in artlantis are great but not a an issue to whether ArchiCAD CAN save to 4.5 which it should considering that it can save to so many other formats.

The question is whether Abvent or Graphisoft indipendently or colaboratively have decided not to support 4.5, which obviously only helps Abvent and could be seen as a dirty trade practice.
For me, this issue (the inability to save to Artlantis 4.5) came when I was in a hurry. Fortunately I had not used any exclusive feature of Arch10 in that project, but I did use Arch10 library parts, which I had to replace once in Arch9.

I had been tired of being edged out by those who use Autodesk VIZ instead of Artlantis 4.5 (I did not upgrade to Artlantis R because most of my work is making 3D Walk-throughs... Artlantis Studio came too late), and so this was the drop that filled the glass and I finally decided to switch to VIZ.

The learning curve was steep, but after a couple of months I'm quite happy with it. Not only I am able to cleanly import from ArchiCAD-produced 3ds files thanks to a free MAXscript I found on the web (which has a nice material replacer utility), but I am now also able to use the great RPCs by Archvision, which my competitors had been using for years... and I can take now advantage of the really huge MAX/VIZ user base out there... which has produced tons of tutorials, materials, objects, etc, most of them for free.

So long, Art-lantis... you were really useful in the past, and I really, really wish VIZ was as easy to use... But as they say, no pain, no gain.

By the way, during the years that I used Artlantis I created a lot of billboards... I made a selection of the best and now they are for sale at Turbosquid for a very low price. Just search for "artlantis" in Turbosquid's search box.
Anonymous
Not applicable
has anybody found a solution to this - i agree with Andy (I think) the learning curve is steep working with 3ds files and time is of the essence for most.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ciiku wrote:
has anybody found a solution to this
Add-on export from ArchiCAD 10 to Artlantis R and Studio:
http://www.artlantis.com/download/update/
choose archicad under plugins... you have to be registered though, and when I tried to register, I only got an error-message.. Luckily, one of my colleagues had downloaded it already...
Thomas Holm
Booster
andrewzarb wrote:
Well, even if Abvent is all too familiar with dirty trade practices, Artlantis R is SOO much better than 4.5. Upgrade!
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Learn and get certified!