BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Roof integrity-- ability to change pitch

Anonymous
Not applicable
Once roofs have been created, it would be nice to be able to change the pitch without losing the integrity of the roof intersections.
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable
Do you mean to link associated roof pitches so that they adjust up and down together? This could be nice, but it it might be a bit complicated to make it behave with dissimilar pitches. I've seen plenty of situations where roofs require detailed manual adjustment, and automatic relationships like those in Revit can get in the way of this.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes. For example if you designed a house with a 6/12 pitch and found out it violates the height limit, you could select all the roofs and change them to 5/12 without having to repair all the intersections so it shows up correctly in the model.

Even better still if you could perform other operations. Let's say a hip intersection between two roofs were linked, you could raise the one of the roofs or change its pitch and the hip would repair itself and display properly on the floor plan.

Command clicking to form the intersection should automatically link the roofs.
Stress Co_
Advisor
And when we get that.. can we also have THIS.
I know a few work-a-rounds, but what a hassle when the pitch changes.
Marc Corney, Architect
Red Canoe Architecture, P. A.

Mac OS 10.15.7 (Catalina) //// Mac OS 14.2.1 (Sonoma)
Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 //// Apple M2 Max
Memory: 48 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 //// 32 GB
Graphics: Radeon Pro 580X 8GB //// 12C CPU, 30C GPU
ArchiCAD 25 (5010 USA Full) //// ArchiCAD 27 (4030 USA Full)
Barry Kelly
phubbell wrote:
Yes. For example if you designed a house with a 6/12 pitch and found out it violates the height limit, you could select all the roofs and change them to 5/12 without having to repair all the intersections so it shows up correctly in the model.
This happens now doesn't it?
In the attached image I just selected the roof and changed the pitch - no further editing needed.
Or am I missing what you mean.

Once two roof planes are trimmed together then so long as you change both pitches the same the will remain trimmed.
Of course all the roof planes need to be the same pitch in the first place.
Doesn't work if they are all differnet pitches.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Stress Co_
Advisor
Barry wrote:
Or am I missing what you mean.
Gable end roofs, elevation views ......
Marc Corney, Architect
Red Canoe Architecture, P. A.

Mac OS 10.15.7 (Catalina) //// Mac OS 14.2.1 (Sonoma)
Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 //// Apple M2 Max
Memory: 48 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 //// 32 GB
Graphics: Radeon Pro 580X 8GB //// 12C CPU, 30C GPU
ArchiCAD 25 (5010 USA Full) //// ArchiCAD 27 (4030 USA Full)
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yup. That's what I mean.

Oddly enough if the roof was created with the hip roof geometry method, it repairs correctly. If you create it manually or modify the hip roof, you get the gaps. Both of the roofs below were 12/12 then changed to 6/12. The one on the left was made with the hip roof tool.
Stephen Dolbee
Booster
This was a wish of mine years ago. Apparently, not a priority.
AC19(9001), 27" iMac i7, 12 gb ram, ATI Radeon HD 4850 512mb, OS 10.12.6
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I think the way it works is when you trim the two Roofs together (using the Mitre option) it will set the edge angle to a specific value that is calculated from their geometry. If the slope of the Roofs is changed then that value will not be correct anymore.
However, if you set the common edge to vertical (where it applies) then it will still be correct even if the slope is changed.
Probably not all common edges can be set to vertical, but several of the common edges on that image a few posts ago can be. Probably they are the ones at the horizontal ridges.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Barry Kelly
I use the hip roof (polyroof) tool a lot so didn't notice this problem.
I tend to use the vertical edge method as I discovered years ago if you don't and you trim a wall to the roof under the gable you quite often get a "leak" where the wall squeezes through the gap.
If I need the edge of a roof to not be vertical then it can be edited as necessary.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Learn and get certified!