Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Rotation options for all objects

Haneef Tayob
Booster
I would like to see an option to automatically add some rotation commands to all custom objects.

I currently manually edit the GDL script, adding rotx, roty & rotz when required (eg. in custom roof vents). If there was an option to add this automatically, it could save a lot of time.

Less GDL knowledge may be required (which is not necessarily a good thing, but I know in South Africa, Revit's ad campaign against Archicad was that "Archicad was a good program, but users had to know gdl programming to use it properly")

regards
Haneef
Haneef Tayob
Aziz Tayob Architects
AC23 INT rel 3003, OS X 10.14.6 iMac 3.3ghz i5 dual monitor, 24GB RAM
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable
Haneef wrote:
I currently manually edit the GDL script, adding rotx, roty & rotz when required (eg. in custom roof vents). If there was an option to add this automatically, it could save a lot of time. Less GDL knowledge may be required (which is not necessarily a good thing, but I know in South Africa, Revit's ad campaign against Archicad was that "Archicad was a good program, but users had to know gdl programming to use it properly")
Take a look at Introduction to Object Making; Go to the Help menu/ArchiCAD Help.

I think you will find that there are a lot more things you can accomplish without knowing any GDL than you imagine.

Woody
__archiben
Booster
Haneef wrote:
I would like to see an option to automatically add some rotation commands to all custom objects.

I currently manually edit the GDL script, adding rotx, roty & rotz when required (eg. in custom roof vents). If there was an option to add this automatically, it could save a lot of time.
i think that you are correct in your intentions, but i would suggest the there needs to freeform translation available for all (most?) elements at the modelling level not automatically built into each object/element.

this way we can forget about having to specify the angle parameters, or build in intelligent hotspots, etc. because archiCAD would do all of the rotation in 'model space' for us . . .

just a thought?
~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Anonymous
Not applicable
~/archiben wrote:
..... i would suggest the there needs to freeform translation available for all (most?) elements at the modelling level not automatically built into each object/element.
this way we can forget about having to specify the angle parameters, or build in intelligent hotspots, etc. because archiCAD would do all of the rotation in 'model space' for us . . .
just a thought?
~/archiben
This is how it should work and it is a must for a true 3D architectural work environment, I will not mention other packages....
Thanks,
Joseph