BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Round columns more distinct in section & 3d

Haneef Tayob
Booster
I find it difficult to quickly identify round columns from rectangular columns in sections and 3d's

For round columns, I would like to see an option which allows the elevation & 3d view of round columns to have vertical lines (gradient fill).

I know there are workarounds to use vectorial fill associated to column materials in section, etc, but most of the time I turn vectorial hatching off.

The wish I have is for this to be turned on separately for columns whether vectorial 3d hatching is generally enabled or not.
Haneef Tayob
Aziz Tayob Architects
AC23 INT rel 3003, OS X 10.14.6 iMac 3.3ghz i5 dual monitor, 24GB RAM
4 REPLIES 4
Erika Epstein
Booster
Or to get vertical lines at regular intervals around the column to show roundedness (is that a word?)
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
This is not related to the wish part, it is a workaround.
You can select all round columns, give them a different material, and assign a 3D Hatch to the material.
Then, turn ON 3D Hatch in the Section windows to see those hatches.
I know, not the best, it is just a workaround.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Rob
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
For round columns, I would like to see an option which allows the elevation & 3d view of round columns to have vertical lines (gradient fill).
I just wonder what would you use this for. In my opinion it's absolutely useless option and I have always perceived not having 'ability' to get rid of them as a 'weakness' with other CADs.

Sorry but I think that Laszlo's suggestion is the solution...
::rk
Haneef Tayob
Booster
Hello again
Thanks for some of the +ve input. Erika's suggestion is exactly what I was looking for.
Perhaps I was also not too clear in the request. I've attached an elevation comparing square and round columns to further explain why I've requested this wish. Hope it's clearer.
Haneef wrote:

Recognising that people work differently, the request is certainly only a request for an option (with a tick box hidden somewhere) and not to force everyone to have to adopt it.

The workaround works to a degree as I've illustrated but need some discipline and more work. If you have brick columns for example, then you have to define separate vectorial fills for round columns. The elevations gets inaccurate if you move from round to square (which in our part of the world often happens) and you forget to change the material in AC. There's also an issue of scale.
Columns round vs square in elevation.jpg
Haneef Tayob
Aziz Tayob Architects
AC23 INT rel 3003, OS X 10.14.6 iMac 3.3ghz i5 dual monitor, 24GB RAM
Learn and get certified!