BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

SEO Improvements, incorporate Trim to Roof, etc...

Anonymous
Not applicable
The addition of the Solid Element Operations (SEO) has made the Trim to Roof function seem superfluous, but it still has some advantages. For one it is much quicker to execute, and secondly the results of the operation are persistent.

I had assumed that the Trim to Roof would eventually be replaced by the SEO, but is seems that the functionality could be incorporated into an improved form of the SEO.

One aspect of this would be to make it possible to embed the results of the operation into the target element(s) so that they are no longer dependent on the relationship with the operator. I prefer the SEO for roof trims because they retain the relationship, but it seems that this capability would be useful in other cases (like pyramidal columns).

The other advantage of Trim to Roof is the ease of use. Since the target and operator elements are predefined, the function is very quick to use. This could be accomplished in the SEO by providing some predefined operations so that roofs (or slabs, etc) would be the presumed operators.

Finally, I think the SEO palette needs improvement. I keep it open much of the time when I am modeling, but it doesn't fit on the screen very well and the controls seem a bit clumsy. It is a terrific tool, now it just needs a bit of refinement.
9 REPLIES 9
Geoff Briggs
Mentor
The main improvement to SEOs is make them 100% reliable and work consistently with all AC object types. I'm still smarting over the stair bug.
Regards,
Geoff Briggs
I & I Design, Seattle, USA
AC7-27, M1 Mac, OS 14.x
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
I agree it would be advantageous to disocciate the relationship between target and operator at times.
Finally, I think the SEO palette needs improvement. I keep it open much of the time when I am modeling, but it doesn't fit on the screen very well and the controls seem a bit clumsy. It is a terrific tool, now it just needs a bit of refinement.
It would be nice to reshape it. We can't even assign a keyboard shortcut to Solid Element Operations, to make the dialog appear, then make it disappear, like we can with other dialog boxes, such as Favorites, Selections, even ArchiForma. Consistency would do a lot to improve the usability of the program and instill some confidence in new users.

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
A god ideea is to extend the tipe of relations between elements
relations like
Follow,
Proportional to:,...
or to make roof maker objects to bee roof dependent.
Aussie John
Newcomer
Link wrote:
We can't even assign a keyboard shortcut to Solid Element Operations, to make the dialog appear, then make it disappear, like we can with other dialog boxes, such as Favorites, Selections, even ArchiForma. Consistency would do a lot to improve the usability of the program and instill some confidence in new users.
Link, That works on my Mac.

One thing I hate about trim to roof that if the wall is elevated or the top height increased, the cut doesnt go with it.
Cheers John
John Hyland : ARINA : www.arina.biz
User ver 4 to 12 - Jumped to v22 - so many options and settings!!!
OSX 10.15.6 [Catalina] : Archicad 22 : 15" MacBook Pro 2019
[/size]
James B
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Here's what I said in the other wish tread, but have a little more relivance here:

Thanks Matthew

It would also be necessary to choose in the SEO (Solid Element Operatioons I presume) to include ojects in the element (like doors and windows in the operation or not. And possible weather to keep the link active between operator and target element.

This is such a powerful tool, which I use all the time. So hope to see it having more impact in the future.

Cheers.
James Badcock
Graphisoft Senior Product Manager
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Well chalk that up for another mac advantage - I don't know what all you guys are complaining about!

Thanks mate.

Cheers,
Link.

PS - What exactly are you doing in your avatar?
Aussie John
Newcomer
Link wrote:

PS - What exactly are you doing in your avatar?
The thing is a pedal steel guitar and I'm trying to play it!!
Cheers John
John Hyland : ARINA : www.arina.biz
User ver 4 to 12 - Jumped to v22 - so many options and settings!!!
OSX 10.15.6 [Catalina] : Archicad 22 : 15" MacBook Pro 2019
[/size]
Rob
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
another wish which hasn't had to be a wish, if (once again) - consistency was A MAJOR FEATURE of AC...it's frustrating
::rk
Vitruvius
Contributor
I agree that the Trim to Roof command is much easier (and therefore more frequently used) than SOE's. Here's my SOE wishlist:

1. You should be able to delete the operator element - you can dump the trimming roof so why not the operator element? Now, if it accidentally gets erased you lose the SOE! Not cool.
2. The best trimming element would be a slab or fill - infinite shapes!! But you need to be able to rotate it to make it effective. Why not place a "Driller" tool on the toolbar based upon the slab or fill? Which could then be rotated XYZ?
3. The 2D projection of the SOE trimmed object should be a projection of the trimmed object - currently the 2D visuals are lousy.
4. Get in bed with Cigraph. They've figured out the user interface and seem to have an inexhaustable set of solutions for moving beyond the bounds of AC. ArchiForma, ArchiWall and ArchiTerra are amazing tools which should exist inside the programme.

That's my 2 cents...

Cheers, Cameron
Cameron Hestler, Architect

AC 24 & 25 (3011) / MacMini i7-8700B @ 3.2 GHz / 32GB Ram / 512GB SSD

LG Ultrafine 4K monitor 22" & 27”

Mac OS 11.6 Big Sur
Learn and get certified!