Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.
SOLVED!

Skylight Tools

Paa
Booster

I simply would like to put a skylight in my roof like this....

Screen Shot 2022-09-11 at 12.49.30 AM.png

Using the roof tool I put the composite roof on top of these beams and then added a layer of 1x6 timber between the metal sheeting up top. 

Screen Shot 2022-09-11 at 12.54.17 AM.png

 Underneath I built a frame for the skylight. 

Screen Shot 2022-09-11 at 12.55.01 AM.png

The skylight sits directly on the metal sheeting on the top most roof layer shown in the first image. I want the skylight to go through both layers of the roof...Any ideas how to achieve this? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Paa
Booster

I ended up having to manipulate the top-most layer so laying my skylight for some reason only could cut through the bottom composite roof and not the topmost metal roofing. I watched the "how to cut a hole in a complex roof" video and basically used the roof tool again, to make the actual hole the size I needed. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
DGSketcher
Legend

If we ever get the opening tool to work with roofs this should be easy.

For 3D purposes you could form a Morph and subtract it from the elements you want to remove using SEO. The Morph needs to be assigned a strong Building Material with a high Intersection Priority Value. Place the morph on a layer that will normally be hidden with its own unique Intersection Priority. Unfortunately SEOs won't show in 2D plans.

Alternatively you may be able to create a hole in roof if you are using roof plane elements to assist.

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Ian Knowles
Participant

The simplest solution with the current build-up is creating a hole, as @DGSketcher suggested.

Alternatively, you could add the internal timber sheeting to the composite build-up so the rooflight will register the roof as a whole. It will likely need to have a separate eaves detail.

Paa
Booster

What I ended up doing is redefining my composite roof, I just added air space between the layers I wanted to have the timber. Originally I drew to roofing materials on top of each other with timber in between. That allowed me to use the skylight tool so that I could place a skylight that went through the entire roof...

Solution
Paa
Booster

I ended up having to manipulate the top-most layer so laying my skylight for some reason only could cut through the bottom composite roof and not the topmost metal roofing. I watched the "how to cut a hole in a complex roof" video and basically used the roof tool again, to make the actual hole the size I needed.