BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Stair problems, more than sure I'm not the only one!

Anonymous
Not applicable
I don't know how they do it in the US, but when I draw stairs I usually don't want to display the top tread (on the landing) as a stair the way that the stairmaker provides an option for, I want it to be as "Top tread below floor level". This option works just fine, what doesn't work fine for me is that I still want to display a number at the landing, and having the stair finishing under the floor level also means that the numbering finishes short or where it should. As a result there is the strange situation where I might have 22 risers shown on the plan but (starting from 1) the numbers of the stairs will only go up to number 21. The numbering is there to say for example 22x164, anyone seeing 21 however is going to wonder what is the case, unless I'm missing some setting?

There there is the railing issue, the building regulations I work to require a stair railing height on the stair itself to be 900-1000mm high, at a landing however the railing height changes to 1100mm, there are no settings to allow this change?

Setting out posts also seems rather cumbersome, should I really have to it by guessing numbers into a dialogue? The default position options are pretty much not where I would put a post.

As well you can't even edit railings, instead you need to go back into the stairmaker.

Autocad Architecture does the settings better and provides more options (and has done for quite a while), whats Archicad's excuse....

As a PS, is carriage a standard term in the US for what I would always call a stringer? I've never actually heard of this term and had to look it up!
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable
ChuckLondon wrote:
As a PS, is carriage a standard term in the US for what I would always call a stringer? I've never actually heard of this term and had to look it up!
Yes, called a stringer or carriage stringer, same thing.

I have major issues with the stair tool as well. I cannot get it to look as I'd like. I draw all my stairs using lines and text. I use stair maker for the 3D model and as a "check" to make sure my 2D is on track.

I know, in this world of 3D we shouldn't be having to resort to lines and text, but sometimes the stair tool cannot do what you want...
Anonymous
Not applicable
Chuck! -You are not alone. The stair tool is past it's sell-by date and makes ArchiStair and the other plugins look tempting: but then plugins come with their own family of frustrations.

BTW take time to vote for your own wish: it's allowed!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Chuck,

BTW, You need a sweet avatar like ours!
Learn and get certified!