BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Take Advantage of Dual/MultiProcessors!

Andy Thomson
Advisor
I have had to disable hyperthreading on my PC to get results, would be wonderful if AC were actually written to take advantage of Multipro chips and processor configurations, ie. when generating 3D view on a huge building, processor 1 looks after columns, 2 looks after walls, etc., so there is no conflict.

But what do I know, I am no programmer!

A.
Andy Thomson, M.Arch, OAA, MRAIC
Director
Thomson Architecture, Inc.
Instructor/Lecturer, Toronto Metropolitan University Faculty of Engineering & Architectural Science
AC26/iMacPro/MPB Silicon M2Pro
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable
The following configuration should be essential for ACAD11

1. Intel Core2Duo QUAD i.e multiprocessor support, seriously how much does it cost sitting and wait for renderings, drawing updates, 3D-generations etc. I have heard it is a huge task to do this, but I´ve heard that before about other updates and when you start looking into it it´s not that much job as you thought. Just do it and I am sure you will be rewarded. Does it get more slowly then this, I will stop using ACAD and outsource the drawing jobs.

2. Vista support, it might be necessary to support Direct3D as the OpenGL support is not that firm and the implication of this when it comes to the future development of graphic cards.

3. x64 the main track, for example the PDF converter included shall first support x64 and secondly 32-bit.

It does not matter if you add the nicest features to save some seconds in your drawing work when you spend several minutes waiting for every single update to finish.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Multi threading ... Parallel Threading ... is a very important one ... it saves time which results in saving money for companies ... it will be a big selling point.
I don tknow what the problem is but am sure they are on it ... just a feeling
if we dont get it on ArchiCAD 12 ... then we have problems.
With systems going into multi core it is ridiculous not to take advantage of them.
Imagine a network of 10 multicore computers utilizing their cores to render a movie ... it beats my dual core system that right now has to work 2 days on lowerthan 50% to do what it would probaly take less than half if both cores were utilized.
Learn and get certified!