Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Teamwork and multiple bldgs

Anonymous
Not applicable
We are currently using teamwork to design 4 different bldgs under one master file. 1 designer per bldg and they have dominion over the entire bldg's workspace. We just sign in to the project and marquee around the bldg we are assigned to work on. The point was to be able to change attributes globally for all the bldgs at once as our office standards evolved and to possible have a set of project specific "favorites" to pull from. However the .pln is becoming so conjested with the neccessities of each bldg (i.e. views, details, windows/ doors etc.) that it is becoming awkward to work with. AC is a virtual building program not a virtual building(s) program right? Am I wrong in saying that there should only be one .pln per bldg? Wouldn't that keep things easier and more efficient? How could I convince the guys or myself that teamwork is or isn't the best way to go for projects with multiple bldgs?
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Team work could still work for multiple buildings each in their own separate file; each with its own unique views. You could then hotlink module the buildings into a master site plan that contains all of the buildings in their proper locations.
These buildings can also be teamwork files merged, as Millard suggests, into a Master Site File.
Think Like a Spec Writer
AC4.55 through 27 / USA AC27-4060 USA
Rhino 8 Mac
MacOS 14.2.1
The teamwork files can be composed of module files, referenced externally.

The puzzle box approach which begs the question at which point would you actually encounter the real work and not simply a placeholder for something being worked on elsewhere.

I know, deep as an ashtray.....
Think Like a Spec Writer
AC4.55 through 27 / USA AC27-4060 USA
Rhino 8 Mac
MacOS 14.2.1
Aussie John
Newcomer
one option would be to make separate teamwork files, one for each building. by making them teamwork the other buildings can be viewed for reference (using muliple copies of the application if on mac). Attribute manager can allow for importation of new layers/ layer sets etc. Separate files will allow for different storey heights

Alternatively if one project is used for all the buildings , the strain could be reduced with users taking the option to "view" only their workspace. (You can still log in separately to view other parts of the project.) This is probably the the desired way as details can be referenced more easily and attribues managed.

It also depends on how the workspace is divided. For instance if one person is doing all the reflected ceiling plans then a combined option makes sense. If one person per building the then the separate way might be better.

Personally I would want one person doing all the RCPs or Roof plans or wetareas so they are consistent

Regardless the Teamleader will need to manage the project well.
Cheers John
John Hyland : ARINA : www.arina.biz
User ver 4 to 12 - Jumped to v22 - so many options and settings!!!
OSX 10.15.6 [Catalina] : Archicad 22 : 15" MacBook Pro 2019
[/size]
__archiben
Booster
Casey wrote:
We are currently using teamwork to design 4 different bldgs under one master file.
you don't say which version of archiCAD you are using (it's always handy to place in your signature or something), but:

if you have upgraded to and are using archiCAD 9, there is a far more extensive documentation help for things like CAD management and the management of large building projects.

if they don't show in the 'help' menu directly they should be found in the folder: ./Applications/Graphisoft/ArchiCAD 9/Documentation (or some similar path for PC users), if you have installed them.

there is no one 'correct' way to approach something like this: the way your practice works combined with the type of project it is will both have a heavy bearing on your set-up. but the methods described in these documents can help inform your own procedures . . .

HTH
~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup